Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C is great--but what other Languages should I learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones

Technical User
Apr 7, 2001
US
Hi :)

I have one more semester left & want to take the most beneficial classes for my job hunt. I currently have

1 semester in: C, COBOL, Intro to HTML, Netware
2 semester in: AS/400 Control Language

I could take Java, C++, COBOL II, internet java, advanced HTML.

I don't have an interest in networking & I really don't like COBOL.

Also, in your current company do you hire entry-level people? Will I have a hard time finding a company that will help me get experience?

ANY TIPS/SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!

Christine
Duluth, MN

I suggest you SQL. Also you should know some script languages.
To know a language is too few. If you want to do some helpfull, study APIs. What I recommend is ODBC, COM/DCOM/COM+, DAO, ADO, CORBA, SQL+... John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

I work on the business analysis side of Internet development. The developers in our shop need to have a great deal of knowledge in SQL, Java, and HTML. Some of the legacy systems use C++, and if you go deep enough, you start getting things glued together with shell scripts and/or Perl.

In my own job, I create Perl scripts several times a month to automate some of my tasks.

If I could recommend a strategy rather than a specific language, I would suggest that you consider taking a class on something that is very different from what you have taken in the past. A programming language is a programming language is a programming language. If you learn a new *concept*, now you're getting somewhere.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back