Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C: has an alias of S:

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
Hey all.

I have a client who is running a pc on Win98.
He has an 8gig hard disk in it mapped as C:
the thing is that there is also a drive mapped
as S: which is identical to C: ie if a file
is moved or copied to C: It is moved or copied
to S: aswell....I tried to format the S: drive
but it tells me that it is not a real drive and
is an alias of C: I also tried fdisk in dos
but wont let me do anything with it....
and another strange thing is that both the dirves
only have 4 gigs each!!!
What I want to do is get rid of S: altogether for
him...does anyone know how to do this?????
thanks in advance... Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

The S: seems to be a partition which has been
configured like a mirror-disk.

yea, it 'kinda' is....there is no software on the PC what so ever to suggest anything like that. All I found was one
file called 'failsafe' but it has nothing to do with it.
Is there anyway you can get rid of it if it is what you say???

cheers... Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

Maybe there is some information at the BIOS level
which should be re-set before the partition can
be deleted.

MMMmmm...Id like to try that, but the thing is that its one
of my clients and they are a good bit away from base here,
so I dont want to go alllllll the way out to try it and it
doesnt work! you know what I mean! although I wouldnt mind
a trip outta the office now!!!

another thing I noticed is that if I go into dos and try
fdisk......its not down as any logical or extended partition
or anything!!! Im all con-fused!! X-) Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."

~KeyTech

You say fdisk "won't let me do anything with it"; what do you mean by that? Does it produce an error message, or does it not see the S drive at all? I think, however, that even if you do get rid of the S drive, you will have to expand the C partition to make the space available. There are some freeware utilities that will allow you to do this, but i'm not sure where you can find them. Anyway, you may want to start looking for such a utility that will allow you to do that. It may be able to get rid of S as well, if fdisk is having a problem with it for some reason. Good luck. Justin

Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

"3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population."

Has this computer got a RAID array?
If so, that's one of the options of RAID1 (could be raid 0, I don't remember) and is used as a "second by second" backup, in case of a crash. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Sounds to me like it's a possibility that the drive is 'Compressed' and what you are looking at is both the physical (pre-compressed) and virtual (after compressed) drives...go to 'Start' > 'Programs' > 'Accessories' > 'System Tools' > 'Compression Agent'...have a look and see if the drive has indeed been compressed....

It is possible to Map a drive (alias)to what is already a C: drive. Check Network Neighborhood( right click -> Disconnect Network Drive) check and see if the S: drive in question is present. If it is a mapped drive you should be able to delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back