Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C Drive is almost full 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2005
US
Our C Drive on our 2003 server is only about 4gb to start with, and now we are down to about 200mb free disk space.

We really don't have much on the C Drive... just the OS and a couple of user profiles...

We were doing "ok" until we installed SP1, and that just about filled us up.

Our swap file is (only) 80mb... but that seems to be enough... but we would still like to move that to our other disk drive... which has about 80gb.

How can we move the swap file to the other drive?

ALSO....

Can we delete these files/folders if we're good with the way things are running?

C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files

C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386

C:\Windows\Debug\*.log

C:\Windows\Repair

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

C:\Software Distribution

C:\Windows\ntfrs\jet\log\*.log

Would it be safe to say we could delete any *.cab files... again, assuming that any software we need is already installed?

How can we raise the threshold at which we will be warned about "low disk space?"

You can move the swap file by setting one on the other drive and then setting the size on C to 0MB and rebooting. Note that you will get a warning that by doing this there will be no way for the system to capture dump info if there is a crash.

I would advise that you move the Spooler directory to another drive. You can also delete all of the hidden folders in the root of Windows that are uninstall folders for the installed hotfixes.

Do NOT delete DLLCache unless you seriously want to break your system. Also don't mess with the NTFRS folder.

Your best solution at this point however is to load up a new server (even if it is just temporary) and make it a DC. Transfer FSMO roles and make the new box a GC. Wait for AD to replicate then reload the current server making the C partition at least 12GB.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks, Mark... very helpful info... and not the usual "delete temporary internet files."

Regarding your first point about the warning when moving the swap file... would that be a one-time warning, or everytime you re-boot or login?

And how would one move the spooler directory to the other drive?

it's a one off warning when you hit apply/ok/whatever the button is :)

You move the spooler via the print server screen. Pull up your printers window, don't select any printers and then choose File - Server Properties and it will be under the Advanced tab.

You'll have to stop/start the print spooler for the change to take effect.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back