Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++ Debug Assertion Failed after constructing new object in DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikigcm

Programmer
Oct 24, 2003
CA
Hi everyone,
I am hoping someone can help me out with this problem.
Using MSDEV VC++ 6 / Win2K.

I am having a Debug Assertion Failed! Message (_CrtIsValidHeapPointer) after the construction of new object constructor which is being handled in a DLL.
(i.e. in Debugger mode, it appears as <<User breakpoint called from code at ... (int 3)>>).

From what I have read, it is due to an ASSERT of some kind (but I am not aware of it in my code)! It is non-fatal because if I Ignore the message, the app continues to run. However, it is annoying and I would appreciate it if someone could explain this.

When the code that constructs the object (say Chicken::Chicken) is part of my main app, I do not get the error. However, when I take this code out of my app and create a DLL for it, I get the Assertion failure. Again, the error occurs after having completed the constructor (i.e. in ChickenDLL-> Chicken::Chicken) and returns to the main app.

Does it have anyhting to do with the way I create my DLL?

Cheers everyone and thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back