Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C# Changes for ASP Intranet Site Not Showing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I've only barely dabbled in C# off and on a couple of times over the past say 10-15 years.

In my current role, we have an ASP Intranet site built by a previous employee that is really just a C# app for internal usage. This tool has just done its job for the past 8-10 years I suppose.

Recently, a change was made outside the app that was changing a "status" used for a given process. That made the tool seem like it was broken.

I found the code for the site, and made all the changes I could find in relation to this "status" change, but now I have another problem.

My changes (best I can tell) are not showing up in the ASP website. Is there something I need to do other than editing and saving the files? Do I need to publish the site back to the same location I edited the files from (last modified date and time in the actual server location reflect my changes).

I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, as that is what was installed on the particular machine.

So at this point, I'm asking: How can I make the site/app SEE the changes I made? I believe if I can make it see my changes, the site will once again begin working correctly.

Note: it's not that the site/app is broken, but rather the results are incorrect. The app should be saying "Yep, that's ready to go", but instead it's saying, "Nope, that item isn't ready for this."

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/references/etc

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for the question. Don't assume anything is too obvious with me on this one, please. [smile] I've spent VERY little time in C#, C++ etc in Visual Studio through the years, and I don't believe I've ever purposely messed with anything ASP. My experience here is in the shallow end of the baby pool if that.

Do tell, how/where do I rebuild it?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I'm assuming you're using Visual Studio? I think you have to have Visual Studio in order to do it. Community Edition, which is free, is sufficient.

You open the solution, then choose either "Build Solution" or "Rebuild Solution" (not much difference if you haven't changed any of the dependencies) from the Build menu.

Katie

Thanks. I made a few changes using a copy of Visual Studio 2008 that was on one machine.

The only changes I made were changing the many instances of one word to another: I changed "Reported" to "Completed".

At one point, I did try to do something - maybe it was rebuild. I forget the menu item, but it gave an error saying, it was compiled with a newer version of VS.

As far as the Community Edition being free, it's not free for use (If I read it right) if you're building something for a business. Or is it determined by what type application it is, such as selling the program or just using it internally?

Ah, ok. Well, I'm afraid that's all I've got (I'm fairly new to Visual Studio myself... have only been using it for a couple months). :) And 2017 community is the only edition I have any experience with. If anybody else has any ideas?

Katie

Thanks. [smile]

I'd love to use the latest version of VS. When I check into it last time, at first, I thought I was totally fine. Then I spoke with someone else who works with it all the time, and they mentioned the licensing requirements based on business size and what you're doing with it. So once I went looking down that path, I came to a point where it looked to me like I simply could not use the new one to fix this issue. I was excited, too, b/c I had just FINALLY found the code for this and one other item that's been broken since before I began working here.

If someone has any suggestions regarding licensing and/or the problem at hand, I'm open to at least look into anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back