Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C books 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackcode7475

Programmer
Dec 28, 2005
SY
I would like to learn C lang. and appreciate if anyone recommend a good book to start with.

thanks

What do you intend to do with C - embedded stuff, general programming, programming PDAs, GUI applications, number crunching computations etc?

Pick an area you're interested in and then pick a book on C which covers that area. The ForDummies books are great for starting off but once you've started, they don't quite go far enough. Books like "The C Programming Language" and "The C Reference Manual" are great as references but quite low on examples and exercises.

Also, pick one that is suitable for your OS if there are any OS specific examples. For instance, if you are running Windows, don't pick a Unix book.

If you pick an area you're interested in, you can expand on it. It is difficult to expand on an obscure example on totally unrelated topics. For instance, if you wish to do hardware interfacing, learning the ins and outs of programming GUIs won't get you anywhere.

> I would like to learn C lang.
Also, what's your starting point?

Ultra noob who just got a PC for xmas and now wants to start writing code for the first time?

Or reasonably competent programmer in some other programming language, and wanting to expand into knowing some C as well.

--

thank u for the link, and thanks xwb (Programmer).

Am reasonably competent programmer in some other programming languages, and I want to expand into knowing some C as well.

I personally have had a very good experience with Stephen Kochan's Programming in C, which I think is an excellent book. Although when I got it I already had quite a bit of experience with C, it certainly improved my programming, and it seemed like it would be a good book for all experience levels, from beginner to advanced.

-- Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back