Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C# Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

iara

Programmer
Oct 2, 2002
HN
Can someone recommend me a good C# Advanced programmers book?.I'm new at it and I want to learn it well.

I found the C# Professional Projects book to be very good and also the WROX professional C# book is very good the professional projects book will take you through the development of applications that would actually be useful in the job market using SQL and Crystal Reports i would recomend this one the most of the ones ive gone through

Like I've said before, learning C# is just a matter of adding another language to your toolbelt. The tricky thing is learning the framework.

If you haven't done much OOP, you might want to pick up a design book or two -- they'll pretty much be in C++, but if you know C#, then it's not too hard to figure out what's going on.

Chip H.

which design book can you suggest to read? I want to enhance my OOP design.

i would say that the Professional Projects book would be good for that but maybe someone else has a opinon on that one

You might take a look at "Design Patterns Explained" by Alan Shalloway

Chip H.

Hello people

The following is my research into a good primer for C#

C# Primer Plus
Klaus Michelsen

Retail Price: $44.99
Our Price: $35.99
Format: Paperback, 971pp.
ISBN: 0672321521
Publisher: Sams
Pub. Date: October 2001
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 107,539

ABOUT THIS ITEM
From the Publisher

C# Primer Plus teaches the C# programming language and relevant parts of the .NET platform from the ground up, walking you through the basics of object-oriented programming, important programming techniques and problem solving while providing a thorough coverage of C#'s essential elements - such as classes, objects, data types, loops, branching statements, arrays, and namespaces.

In early chapters guided tours take you sightseeing to the main attractions of C# and provide a fast learning-path that enables you to quickly write simple C# programs. Your initial programming skills are then gradually expanded, through the many examples, case studies, illustrations, review questions and programming exercises, to include powerful concepts - like inheritance, polymorphism, interfaces and exception handling, along with C#'s most innovative features - such as properties, indexers, delegates and events.

With C# Primer Plus's dual emphasis on C# as well as fundamental programming techniques, this friendly tutorial will soon make you a proficient C# programmer building Windows applications on the .NET platform.

CUSTOMER REVIEWS - An Open Forum
Number of Reviews: 1 Average Rating:

A reviewer, a beginning programmer, January 9, 2002,
Great and clear cut introduction to C#

I spent most of my Christmas holidays immersed in the pages of this superb C# book and was amazed by its clarity and attention to detail. Apart from being well written and well organized I particularly enjoyed the many inventive and well-crafted figures supporting the text. Keep in mind that if you are looking for a book about Visual Studio, ASP.NET or Windows Forms (or similar .NET stuff) this book is not for you. It dedicates all its one thousand pages fully to C#, relevant core parts of .NET, and important programming techniques. Even though this initially disappointed me a bit, I now appreciate the great depth this apparent deficiency allows Michelsen to engage in when he probes into the C# language. The book begins by explaining the very basics of computer programming, but because of its rock solid focus on the C# language it manages to span across the entire set of C# features and even provides a thorough and extremely clear treatment of its most advanced features (many of the advanced C# features are treated more extensively in C# Primer Plus than in a lot of the advanced C# books I have sifted through in the book shop) For example the two meticulously written chapters about inheritance don’t just scratch the surface of this subject but made me more excited about programming than I ever thought possible. The case study found here (one of several case studies in the book) about a simple drawing program utilizing inheritance and polymorphism to implement its functionality was a real eye opener for me. If you are a beginning (C#) programmer and want a complete and clear cut introduction to this exciting new language, without being sidetracked by tons of .NET and Visual Studio stuff, you can’t beat this book.

FROM THE BOOK

Table of Contents
Introduction 1
Ch. 1 Computers and Computer Programming: Basic Concepts 7
Ch. 2 Your First C# Program 23
Ch. 3 A Guided Tour through C#: Part I 59
Ch. 4 A Guided Tour through C#: Part II 91
Ch. 5 Your First Object-Oriented C# Program 111
Ch. 6 Types Part I: The Simple Types 141
Ch. 7 Types Part II: Operators, Enumerators, and Strings 203
Ch. 8 Flow of Control Part I: Branching Statements and Related Concepts 271
Ch. 9 Flow of Control Part II: Iteration Statements 329
Ch. 10 Arrays Part I: Array Essentials 367
Ch. 11 Arrays Part II: Multidimensional Arrays - Searching and Sorting Arrays 427
Ch. 12 Class Anatomy Part I: static Class Members and Method Adventures 481
Ch. 13 Class Anatomy Part II: Object Creation and Garbage Collection 535
Ch. 14 Class Anatomy Part III: Writing Intuitive Code 583
Ch. 15 Namespaces, Compilation Units, and Assemblies 635
Ch. 16 Inheritance Part I: Basic Concepts 663
Ch. 17 Inheritance Part II: abstract Functions, Polymorphism, and Interfaces 707
Ch. 18 Structs 761
Ch. 19 Exception Handling 771
Ch. 20 Delegates and Events 793
Ch. 21 Preprocessing, XML Documentation, and Attributes 815
Ch. 22 File I/O Basics 833
Ch. 23 Recursion Fundamentals 851
App. A: Answers to Quizzes and Exercises 867
Index 955

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Accreditation
Klaus Michelsen has a Masters degree in Economics from Aarhus University in Denmark. His studies included artificial intelligence and courses in advanced computer science at Sydney University in Australia. Since his first programming assignment for a shoe shop when he was 18, he has, during his 15 years of programming experience, been exposed to many different technologies and programming languages, including Java, Visual J++, C++, MS Access, VB, Eiffel, and Pascal. Klaus has been working with C# and .NET since their introduction in the year 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back