Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

c++ 6.0 to c++ 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

123qweasdzc

Programmer
Sep 27, 2005
PT
Hello everyone. I have a huge project develop in c++ 6.0. Now I need to compile all the project using the the 7.0 .NET version.
Has someone got good references that helps this kind of migration?

It shouldn't be that difficult. Check MSDN for some important differences, but in general all you have to do is open up your workspaces in 7.0 (why not 7.1??) and it will convert the projects for you. Most of the changes I had to make when I did this were just bugs in the old code that the new compiler caught.

Thanks for your reply uolj.

Do you know any good msdn articles? I have been searching, but without sucess.

7.1 (2003) is better than 7.0 (2002). At least it doesn't crash quite as often and change your menus to grey on grey.

It should convert seamlessly but you can't go backwards i.e. back to 6.0. The workspaces (dsw) convert to solutions (.sln) and the projects (dsp) convert to a different type of project (vcproj). THe format of the dsw/dsp files is different from that of the sln and vcproj files. The sln and vcproj files are in XML.

Also, if you use a lot of STL, the 7.1 version is better.

If you are using WTL, you need to download version 7.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back