Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bytes received problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crorepathi

Technical User
Oct 27, 2002
IN
I am having windows XP with Pentium 4 and a dial up internet connection with genric k 56 internal modem and when i try to connect to internet, all is well for 5 minutes and after about 5 minutes, bytes received are stopped but if i upload something, i am able to do without any problem..
If i restart my windows i am able to browse successfully for about 5 more minutes..Let me know how can i resolve it
Thanks
Jeya

Basically your modem is retraining.

What happens is your modem is connecting at the fastest speed it possibly can. When this speed is simply to fast for the phone line you will lose packets on data. If your modem detects packet loss it will stop dataflow (for approximately 1 minute) and retrain itself to a slower speed. Then once packet loss ceases it will again stop dataflow (for approimately 1 minute) and retain itself to a faster speed.

This loop just continues over and over.

To fix the problem you will need to put in an initialisation string to slow the modem to a constant speed.

It may also help to install the correct modem drivers for your modem, as you are only using the Generic windows drivers.

If you post your exact modem type I will get a string for you and tell you how to add it.

My modem is internal and modem type is generic softk56 and when i query modem i got the following details..
softk56V_B2.1_v3.05.12.06 and softk56 CModemversion 11 RKsampleversion341....
My extra settings showed the initialization string as ATX1 +MS=V90,0
Thanks

try +ms=v90,,,40000
if that works
try +ms=v90,,,41333
if that works
try +ms=v90,,,42667
if that works
try +ms=v90,,,44000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search