Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypassing long distance restrictions using *67

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinzm

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
Long distance dialing restriction is enabled on our phones. However, we recently discovered that people are picking up the hand set, dialing *67 and a long distance phone number (3 beeps are heard) and the long distance call completes getting past the restriction.

I have searched the manuals and can not find anything referencing *67 with respect to restrictions or accessing trunks.

Can anyone explain what is happening?

If i remember Feature *68 and a password is the correct way to dial out on a restricted extension. I have never heard of the *67. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

*67 invokes CLID blocking. You must dial *67 each time you wish to do this. When invoked you will get a stuttered dial tone return. The stuttered dial tone return seems to alow a bypass of normal dialing filters and their COS passwords. I don't know if this glich goes beyond norstar. You must put a dialing filter in for 67 and that will restrict the glich.
Probably any stuttered dial tone return will knock out the dialing filters and COS password.

PhM

Phone Man is absolutely correct. I've seen this on Norstar's and I just add *67 to the restriction filter. Then whenever someone dials *67, they will see restricted call come up.

good call guys is there a fix for this other than an added restriction? Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back