Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypassing Login Dialog 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidsolberg

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
CA
I'm planning on running NT 4 Workstation for a person new to the world of computers. I'm aware that doing this may pose some more challenges, but I've chosen the stability of NT over the more "user friendly" 95 and 98. I'd like to know if it is possible to bypass the user login dialog and log in to an account automatically at bootup. If this can be done, can I have a limited user account load automatically, and have the administrator account available if I were to log off of the limited user account?

Thanks in advance, and Season's Greetings
Reid

Your other choice is to use regedit. Search for autoadminlogon and set the value to 1. You will also see defaultuser and defaultpassword. Set those to the users correct user name and password.

Thanks for your quick responses. I actually located instructions for the above registry method and successfully implemented it. I had the administrator account log on automatically. My only problem was when I tried to log off of the admin account, I was logged off, and immediately logged in again, so I couldn't log on to the limited user account.

Reid

hold down shift key as you log off? thread621-425054

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back