Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypassing exchange server in sending mail to users without mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohard

Vendor
Jan 15, 2002
CA
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any strategies that they use regarding email in this particular type of setup.
I have abcdomain.com the web and email is hosted on an external unix server. All the internet email is handled by this unix server for the domain. However, they have graduated to a server on their network, and we have implemented exchange in that environment which is fine. But some of the users that have internet email access and addresses, will never log into the system and thus will never actually need a username in active directory and subsequently a mailbox. The problem that exists is for those users within the office that want to send email out to the external users. When mail does get sent from internal via the exchange server and out.. the exchange server obviously doesn't recognize the username and stops it before it gets a chance to go out. Any ideas on bypassing that? let me know.
I don't want to open exchange to the outside.

Thanks In Advance.

J

On the messages tab of the SMTP virtual server, you can add a host on the bottom line. Essentially, any email that the server can't resolve will be forwarded to what's ever on that line.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Hi,

I am somewhat unclear on what exactly the problem is.
My understanding is that:

>>You have internal users without mailboxes and you wish to >>send email via exchange??
>>
>>This you cannot do because the exchange server cannot >>authenticate the user hence will not allow relaying??

If this is your problem and you do not want to open your exchange box to the outside environment then you can allow specific IP addresses to relay through the exchange server.
Typically you might put in your LAN subnet, or simply the affected IP addresses of the people without exchange/AD accounts?

This is done (correct me if I am wrong) via the SMTP properties tab from within ESM.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back