Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypassing Checkpoint Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjames

MIS
Nov 14, 2001
US
If I wanted to bypass the firewall and go straight to the net, what would my settings have to be? Would I have to put the firewalled gateway in as my gateway in my network tcp/ip settings? Please advise. We are trying to ensure users can't pull off any stunts to get around our firewall.

Do you have any other way to get from your internal network to the internet? If not, then no, they cannot get around your firewall. However, if you are asking such a question, I think you should have someone who know's what they're doing install your firewall.

The simplest way for a bypass to work is with this situation:

Assume:
1. your internal network is using valid public ips.
2. your router's internal interface is using a valid public ip on a different subnet.
3. router and pc are connected to the same switch, hub or cross connected directly.

for bypass to work.

1. I would assing an ip address on my pc with an ip within the router's subnet range.

2. I would then assign the router's inside ip as my pc's default gw.

I can think of couple more ways to do the bypass, but your ordinary users wouldn't be able to do'em without admin access to the firewall and priviledge access to the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back