Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypass Novell login prompt in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillis

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2001
Hi to all,

We have some new Dell notebooks with XP installed. Since we occasionally use them to log into the LAN (Netware 6) I installed the Novell client on them (v4.83). The client takes over the login process from Windows and the prompt appears every time you boot. 99% of the time users check "workstation only" and move on to the desktop; 1% of the time they actually want to login to the LAN.

Is there a way to get Novell to only prompt if Windows recognizes a network connection to the LAN and bypass it if not? Everyone is getting a bit annoyed with me (can't blame them)

Thanks if you have some relevant input.

JGiles

1. (Preferred)If you have Novell 6 (small business server it comes with Zenworks) setup the DLU, Dynamic Local User. Otherwise purchase it depending on the the number of users.

2. (so-so) Or, you could have all users use the same desktop and use tweakui but the log off feature does not work some times. Then the workaround is to reboot the PC.

3. (least preferred) setup a user account locally on the xp. that has the name and password as the Netware box. but then if the password everchange your out of luck.

jeff.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the tips. I know on all of our Win98 desktops, the Novell prompt won't even appear unless it detects a valid ethernet connection during bootup. For some reason the WinXP machines show it no matter what. I was hoping there was a simple way to make XP do what 98 seems to do inherently.

You mention Zenworks / small business server - we are running NW6 but I don't have the other items you mention. Are there other reasons I might need to consider purchasing them?

Thanks again,

jerry

perhaps a better way to approach this would be with the following question?????

when the users that you say don't need to login to the LAN show up at the workstation what are they logging in to the workstatin as? Have you added the usernames/accounts for them all or is there just a generic one.

with the answer to that maybe I can help point to the most cost effective solution because that's the reality zenworks would work wonderfully for anyone with a novell/ms mixed network but it may be overkill if your needs only need the once again in good graces tweakui. That is to say that tweakui which has a good purpose has not been something that always works in every os revision. Jeff

Jeff, these "workstations" are notebook PC's. Consequently, 95% of the time they are being used outside of the building and therefore apart from the LAN. A small percentage of the time the users may plug in (say in the conference room) to access information during a meeting and then login to have access to their network data.

Yes, all users exist on the LAN and on those infrequent occasions when they use the laptop to login, they use their Netware user login; however, for most of the time they don't need it. Therefore it seems a shame that the Novell prompt insists itself when no network is present or required.

Thanks again, Jerry

Isn't this a good case for IFolder? Then laptop users could authenticate through the Intranet and a web browser instead of using traditional login methods. Will work as long as the Netware Server isn't your DHCP Server. Just a thought...
BKtechie

BKtechie,

You could be right; however, I haven't been able to use iManager, iFolder, etc... since our upgrade to NW6 so I don't know their capabilities. Wish we could, just can't seem to make it happen.

Thanks for your comments,

Jerry

The problem isn't really NetWare, but Windows XP Professional. Windows XP is a much more secure environment and requires you to login regardless of network connection.

You are getting the Novell login prompt because you have the Novell client installed. If you did not have the Novell client installed you would be getting the Windows login prompt.

Mike

How about switching the provider order from Novell first to Microsoft first, that way the Novell client will not want to log into the network first?

The other thing you could do as well is change the GINA from Novell back to Microsoft. This is done with a registry key change to HKLM\SoftWare\Microsoft|WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon for the value GinaDLL.
When the NetWare client has control it is set to NWGINA.DLL, when Microsoft has control it should read MSGINA.DLL.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back