Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypass broken laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I have a DELL laptop with a broken screen - it's totally unreadable.

I can connect the laptop to my TV via a HDMI cable and it works fine. However, it only outputs the video signal to the TV once the Windows is fully fired up.

I need to access the BIOS and Startup menu in order to restore the laptop but I can not do this as during startup, only the broken screen is used by the laptop.

Is there a workaround that I can use in order to output the video signal to the HDMI output BEFORE Windows fully loads ?

Thank you in advance folks [thumbsup2]

Well, it would be helpful if you had included the model number so we could look up the specs. But yes, you should be able to, it should have a monitor out, either a 15 vga or dvi. If you don't have a monitor, maybe your TV has a computer in VGA port, everyone of my HDTVs does. Once this is connected you simply have to find the switch on your laptop to have it utilize the external video out instead of the internal LCD, it usually is a combo of the Fn key plus one of the other buttons most likely an F5-F8 key, my Lenovo is Fn+F7 keys. This should allow you access to the bios.

OK. Thanks for the reply.
I do know it has a VGA output and yes, I do have a monitor I can connect to.
I will look up the model number when I return home and post back.

It is a Dell Inspiron N5110

Thanks again.

For that model, you will want to press Fn+F1 keys right after turning power on, and it should switch to the external monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back