Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buzzing sound on Norstar MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0rt3lguy

Programmer
Sep 10, 2007
US
Hello, I am trying to figure out this buzzing sound we are getting on our phone system. We have a Norstar MICS (0x32) with a T-1 card for our Access Disadvantage. We have 10 channels coming in and every so often we get a buzzing sound on the lines. Both the caller and the Customer Service Rep on our end hear it. When it happens, it makes it impossible to continue the conversation. I have called our carrier and they can see no problems. The buzzing sound does not happen on every call. Any suggestions?

I just cleared out the error logs this morning so I could see what errors it threw out today. I am told it happens several times a day, so I'll repost later with any errors it may throw out.

I have been checking the error logs throughout the day, but the system is not giving any. I checked with the CSR's and they told me that they have got the buzzing sound today.

is the problem caused by telephone, DTI, services, cabinet, cable, carrier
try isolating

senk1s is absolutely right- You'll have to do some troubleshooting. Are there only a few extensions that are having the trouble, or is it system wide?

You can try to get the CO to come out while you're having the trouble to test at the ds0 level with a TBerd, or replace the DTI.

What rev of software are you running?

The CSR's are using headsets, but this problem is system wide.

It is system wide, so I eliminated the telephone as being a cause, i checked out the cabling, and it checked out. Of course the carrier is saying that they see no problems... I guess I will get a new DTI card in here and try that.

I'm not familiar with a Tberd.

the software rev is 6.1.

I checked the error logs today and had 820-0D0502 S4
I looked it up, but couldn't find any explanation for this code.

Thanks for everyone's help so far and on going!

Event code: 820
Reset:
No

Description:
An event received by the line driver software, which controls the trunk hardware is not recognized.

Action:
Record information from the event and network logs then contact your local support group.

I have eliminated the DTI card, phones, headsets and the carrier. I will try switching pairs on the cable that it is coming in the building on.

Don't eliminate a carrier issue just because they don't see errors on a DS1 level (and who knows for sure how far they tested into that?). There could be a DS0 level issue, a Lightspan hardware issue, a DS3 issue down the line,.... Get as much info on the problem as you can (ie. On Inbound? Outbound? Both? To/from a particular NPA? Only on inbound channel 9 <Feature 77>? Only on conference calls initiated from the Norstar? It sounds like a lot of work....and it is, but you have to know what animal you are fighting; the 'shotgun' approach usually only yields a high expense and a po'd customer. I have made a spreadsheet for customers with 4 colums. Time & Date, What happened EXACTLY and on what line (Feature 77), Inbound or Outbound, To or From Where EXACTLY. Post what you gather.

Thanks, gforce9. I'll get a spreadsheet and hand it to the CSR's and see what information they gather today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back