Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BUZZING ON THE ACS R7

Status
Not open for further replies.

newBPhoneGuy

Technical User
Dec 12, 2005
US
i have the partner ACS r7 and a 308 expansion card on all ext's and lines's incoming and outgoing calls there is a faint buzzing noise in the background than is really annoying i havent connected the system to ground yet so im hoping thats the problem but if not could someone please give me some suggestions and feedback.......thanks in advance

have you checked the lines before they go to the ACS ?
could be on the telco side

have you plugged the phones directley into the acs ? try this to eliminate cable issues

lines are good everything worked great and all the phones are plugged directly to the acs there are no jacks

no jacks , so your using cable with plugs crimped on ?

try using a factory made silver satin line cord to plug a phone directly into the acs

im using 6 conductor silver satin from phone to acs nothing in between im even using 8 conductor on some of them and all the phones are buzzing

if you have a UPS have you tried running it with usp only or without the ups ?

have you tried it on another electric circuit ? maybe with a extension cord for testing?

try it with power off on every othr circuit and only the acs on the circuit its plugged into .

Is it twisted pair wire that you're using, or flat "silver-satin" cord? If not twisted, try a Cat-5 patch cable and see if your buzz goes away.

Ground it. True earth ground, if you do not know what that is and have ability to test that it is a good ground, get someone who does to provide the ground. Try it on another power circuit, test the circuit itself with a meter. I suggest a dedicated cicuit with a dedicated ground for all voice systems. Typical computer power circuit, often orange colored three prong power outlet is common for this type of circuit.
If that does not work, disconnect the exts. one at a time and reboot, retest, if still issue, eliminate 308 retest, and 2 slot carrier retest. Whatever disconnected eliminates the issue will probably need to be replaced.
Use the cords that came with the new phones, if not new phones, get new cords, 2 pair cords at least.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

ok so i tried everything with this damn setup checked the power circuit checked the 308 achecked the processor the lines and the exts and nothing and i have it tied to the telco earth ground and still it buzzes im thinking it might be the cabling is it possible that if the cable is running over a florescent light fixture that the sys would buzz.... the one thing i forgot to do is reset when i was testing the exts everytime is it absoluty necessary to reset after i plug each one in......
thanks for all the help guys

Check for a high voltage electrical source close by. We recently had the same thing and it was resolved by swapping out the processor.

I would also try unpluging all ext's & Co lines then take a phone right at the system and plug it in. Is the noise only on CO ports?
Have you tried the ACS unit by itself without the 308EC?
If you hear it on ICM key right at the system.
Try moving the system to a differnet part of the building as a test to see if you still hear the buzz. You may be dealing with RF. If it clears install in the system back where you had it and put window screen around it to block the RF.

Crap, My customer has the same problem.. Hate it when people don't follow up on their threads and let you know how things were finally resolved.. could be quite useful to others :)

Sorry but i never got it fixed too muche work to isolate all the wires and put some sort or box around the system to block out possible RF problems....for now we are just living with the slight buzz. the people on the other end cant hear it only we can and its not very loud so.... if you figure out a quick fix let me knoe...

thanks

Thanks for the update newBPhoneguy, I got my customers fixed today.. had to move the Partner Messaging Module to the far left.. Moving the module to the far left caused some havoc rearranging their extensions, but that was the only way to get it going without the interference.. anytime the 308ec card was before the Partner Messaging Module I got the noise

@ newBPhoneGuy,
You mentioned in one of your posts cable running over a flourescent fixture. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that is the source of your hum.

We have also found this low level buzzing noise to be caused by component level failures on the ACS Processor. Negative 5V supply on the power supply can cause it - DSP chip - port chip going bad and overheating etc - solder bridge on Quad chips.

Sometimes its something basic such as cabling or Flo lights as Paul144 noted, but these ACS circuit boards can develop many strange problems when they are run at HOT MAs or when components start failing.

yeah im pretty sure paul is right cause i tried two different procwssor modules and both do it so im not going to worry about it till my boss whines some more...lol....also the system is with in 3 to 4 feet of a bunch of servers and neither the system or the servers are going to be moved so i five up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back