Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buying trends 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RikRodgers

Vendor
Jun 1, 2006
US
This is usually our busiest time of year, but we're not usually THIS busy.

Odd is the fact that ever since the announcement of the MD of the CICS and MICS, I've had a rash of requests for new phone systems.

I've explained the difference between a VOIP, Hybrid, and traditional system. So far, they are all crying for an old Norstar. (Well, one is still considering my BCM proposal, but is leaning towards a MICS.)

What's the consensus out there? The industry is pushing for the move, but is our customer base ready?

Rik - If I could get any of my 200 plus customers to buy anything and I mean anything, it would be a miracle. I'm letting my Norstar customers no, after about a year and a half, no more support (but they can get the parts for a while). I'm trying to push my Allworx, but again, if they can pick up the phone and answer the call, not spending any money.

In Jackson, we've got centuries old businesses that have been sold VOIP packages from local "Data" guys. (Linksys, DLink, etc...)

None have worked well, so they've been calling me to restore their phone service on their old systems, or a new one I'd provide, if that won't do.

I'm not opposed to VOIP, (or Universal Communications, or whatever they want to call it... I went to school for this stuff, and I still don't know what to call it.) it just seems that either businesses aren't ready to incur the additional costs involved with upgrading their networks, or don't really care for the additional features.

Ride the train 'til it crashes, Rik! Here in Chicago, PST's experience is common; no one is spending money. Come January when 1- existing tax cuts expire, 2- taxpayers and businesses start paying for the health care behemoth, and 3- individuals are taxed on the cash value of their present health insurance, we will all be looking for new jobs............

Hometown of Obama the Messiah... you'd think you'd get a break!

I don't think things are quite so grim out there. I do think, though, that if all the industry manufacturers out there are married to the voip concept, then I'm open to talks with any other electronics company who is willing to give our customers what they want- namely simple, ring and answer communication.

In a capitalist economy, the buyer is king. (and feeds my family)

Norstar end users are spoiled. The systems last a long time with few problems. I still see 3 x 8, 6 x 16 and 8x 24 that are working just fine. If you don’t need Unified Communications or have multiple locations why change? Most Voip systems have one vendor for the voip system, one for the routers and switches and another for the connection between sites. This compounds the problem when trying to resolved or isolate problems. I see most small business with less than 50 employees staying with the Norstar systems.

RKDavis Wilmington,NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back