Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

buy apc devices or use the PowerChute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarferret

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2005
US
hi, i didnt know where exaclty to post this topic but here we go, its about what will work better in a network, in one hand the APC UPS "PowerChute Network Shutdown" or in the other hand the "PowerChute Business Edition", it seems like those 2 do the same thing: Network-based shutdown of multiple servers (or workstations).
In your opinion what will be the best practice? or install this kind of sofware or buy a master-bigger apc backup-protected device wich support every pc or device in my network?

Thanks in advance for imputs.

Live as a tortoise.
and rate my mullet:

well the single ups backup for the whole office is not a good idea cause of the load it will put on the device. i would recommend the business edition. First off it is free and second it will provide a timed shutdown on all the servers through the agent software all you need is to install the console and the server part of the software on just one comp and control everything from there.

Each Powerchute Business Edition Agent has a one to one relationship with a UPS, each powerchute agent must be serially connected to a UPS (if you have one UPS per computer this is fine) the server edition allows you to centrally monitor all your agents, PCBE FAQ is linked below.

If you have one larger central UPS with multiple servers you would be better off using Powerchute Network Shutdown (also free), you would however need to purchase a network card for the UPS although some higher end UPS's do come with the card pre-installed. I could not find an FAQ on the APC site although I am sure there is one.

smart ups is the only one that will be able to reboot the machine the backup ups line can only shutdown and cannot turn the computer on

so the smart ups its able to turn on a computer after shutdown?
and it really works?
i have seen few topics with several issues with the smart ups restart...

Live as a tortoise.
and rate my mullet:

yea if you look at the business edition there are two options on the ups one to shutdown and one to turn the comp on. unfortunatly the simple signal back up line can only shutdown the server

The turn-on is a function on the computer, if you set your BIOS to return to last known state it will automatically switch back on, this means that you go to the 'it's now safe to shutdown' display but do not turn off, the UPS will run till it's battery is exhausted and switch off (in the case of the Smart-UPS it is capable of doing a timed shutdown which the Back-UPS cannot do). In either case the UPS will go to sleep, when power is restored the outlets reapply power and the computer restarts if it is set to do so.

the Back-ups is capable of a time shutdown but you need a serial cable to do it. I know cause i did it. but in the business software it has a function to turn the computer back on after 10 minutes. can you explain that plz

The timed restart requires a Smart-UPS, the UPS goes to sleep and then restarts after a set period of time (this does not have to be because of a power failure). You could set the UPS to switch of at 8pm every night and then restart at 8am ensuring all workstations shutdown completely for that period of time. I do not believe the Back-UPS is capable of performing a timed restart (timed shutdown is available because that is a product of the system the software is running on not the UPS)

the back-ups is not capable of a timed restart but it is capable of a timed shutdown only with a serial cable not a usb cable can you explain that. I was told directly from apc tech support that with simple signaling that the Back-UPS line is capable of timed shutdown. the problem with that backups is the hardware is not capable of a restart.

I have no idea about the cables, with PCBE (PowerChute Business Edition) you can do a scheduled shutdown (not restart), this is based on the agent software on the attached machine performing the timing and that agent software issuing the shutdown command. I could not see any options on Powerchute Personal Edition for doing a timed shutdown (although again, I do not use this software so there may be soemthing I am missing)

well if i use the pcbe with the usb cable the timed shutdown does not even work. so it is the hardware and the software if anything. plain and simple. if it was the software and not the hardware then i could do a timed shutdown with any ups device.

Not sure what point you are arguing here.

Back-UPS - Timed shutdown only (apparently only with a DB9)
Smart-UPS - Timed shutdown and restart if needed.
ALL UPS's, shutdown and restart (regardless of brand) if power fails and the UPS power cycles the CPU will restart if it set to do so. The restart funtion in a power failure (which is what the timed shutdown simulates in the smarter UPS's) is TOTALLY dependent on the computer - the UPS cannot restart the Computer if the computer is not set up to go to last known state.

Having checked the APC web site and information about PCBE it appears that only Back-UPS with serial DB9 connections are supported with PCBE. USB is only supported on Smart-UPS models, which could explain why the timed shutdown did not work with a USB based Back-UPS.

Powerchute Personal Edition does support USB based Back-UPS systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back