Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Button search between two dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizziebutler

Programmer
Apr 28, 2005
GB
Hello I would like to create a search button (push button) that will allow the user to input two dates and search fields between two dates. I have be able to do this successfully when search for numeric fields but not sure how to code the pl/sql (when-button push) for the dates, here a sample of my code for searching for numeric data such as deptno. Your help would be much appreciated.

DECLARE
v_where VARCHAR2(2000) := NULL;
v_ename VARCHAR2(30) := :control.ename;
v_deptno NUMBER := :control.deptno;
BEGIN
--
IF v_deptno IS NOT NULL
THEN
v_where := 'DEPTNO = ' || v_deptno;
END IF;
set_block_property('EMP', DEFAULT_WHERE, v_where);

-- Query
go_block('EMP');
execute_query;
EXCEPTION
WHEN OTHERS
THEN
message(SQLERRM);
END;

I know the sql should do some like this but I cannot get the search to recognise between the two text fields on the form. ie DATE1 DATE2 SEARCH

SELECT .... WHERE DATE BETWEEN DATE1 AND DATE2;

Assuming you are using Oracle Forms, are the fields on your form DATE or CHAR datatypes?

I have tried changing them from date to varchar. I can search using it as char. Oracle forms Yes. The date filed is date in oracle and the search field set as date or varchar.

I have used to_char(flightdate, 'DD-MON-YYYY') I can now search on one single field as the field declared as a varchar2(11), but cannot search between two dates to retrieve all flights between the departure date and return date. Can you provide any suggestions.

Try using TRUNC on your database date if possible.

eg. [tt]WHERE Trunc(date_column) BETWEEN dateval1 AND dateval2;[/tt]

Or if this impacts on performance, add 1 day to dateval2:

[tt]WHERE date_column BETWEEN dateval1 AND dateval2 + 1;[/tt]

That okay, but it is how I write the plsql to accept the parameters from the field data into the button search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back