Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Butt Set with Ring Voltage reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I have the Fluke TS-52 Pro, while its a great set, sadly it does not measure Ring Voltage, it only has idle, hook on or off readings.
I have full size meter in the truck but it's not always handy, unless the site has their own parking lot, lol.

I am wondering if anyone has such a Butt Set that reads the Ring Voltage and what make.

My work around since I need to save space in my doctors bag is to buy maybe this space saving Klien ET250 and modify the probes to alligator bed of nails.

But now I am onto something like this Tiny Voltage Meter and pigtail it with Alligator and Modular cables.
Or you can get them naked and build into a a project box.

Then there is Sandman hyping this Smart HT116 Digital Multimeter.

Thanks

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

This unit claims to display ring voltage and frequency in both the product information flyer and the instruction sheet that can be downloaded at their website.

Although the instruction sheet says it displays ring voltage and frequency, I didn't see any further detail about that in the sheet, but you can double check if interested.

Thanks libellis, jsaad

TLA300-1 TelScope
Seem like maybe an option.
I called T3 Innovation and they stopped manufacturing it but there is still some new ones for sale.
Some complaints on cord quality, ruggedness.

In this video at 4:50 it shows:
[highlight #D3D7CF]Ring: 20 Hz 125.7 Vrms[/highlight]

Lil' Buttie Pro
Discontinued product but some for sale out there still, however documentation shows the same:
On-hook voltage
Off-hook current

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

A search shows most vendors offering the Butt Set for sale under the Platinum Tools name. The front of the Platinum Tools unit says "TelScope", not "T3 Innovation Telscope". The vendors are also listing delivery time estimates, so maybe the product was taken over by Platinum Tools and is still in production. (Could also be that Platinum Tools sourced from T3, but with an unbranded version when distributing to other vendors and won't have any more when current stock runs out.)

After research...
Platinum Tools is a distributor, NSI Industries is the "new" manufacturer, NSI acquired Platinum Tools 3 years ago.
They also had it branded as Recon T62 where it is sold in a few places including Homedepot in the states. Exact same manuals.

Since there is so many others chiming in on this topic I decided to go ahead and got the TLA300 TelScope Open Box New deal.
[clown]

My main reason for this is that Bell Canada in Toronto is converting clients to Fibre, their gateways do not seem to be providing enough ring current.
On a Norstar CICS I had to change the CLID card to the version that sticks out an inch, NT5B41GA REL 02C -DATE 1998 01/03

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Curlycord, would one of the neighbourhoods where their converting to Fibre happen to be near the Toronto Congress Centre??

I'm looking after an alarm system in a shop that's just around the corner, and Bell is continually disconnecting the line to the alarm system. It's getting annoying as I live in Thorold on the other side of the lake from Toronto.

I was about to update this forum as I finally tested the one I just purchased last week.

TLA300-1 TelScope was the winner, thanks libellis
I decided to keep that one and a just a few duplicate tools in a separate tool bag that I will use just for line issue calls, otherwise I will continue to use my TS-52 PRO for installs/changes.

The issues I had was in mid/central Toronto to answer your question.
The lines were on a Bell Hub 4000 modem.
I resolved the issue by using an older vintage Norstar line card.
Gateways and modems are weak these days, like the new generation music.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back