Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Butt Set question ... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchyfish

MIS
Jun 1, 2004
US
I'm not familiar on how to use a buttset and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on where to get 'How To' instructions on a Progressive Electronics 390 Telephone Test set.

Thank you ..

Mike

Simple.
Clip the red and black alligator clip to the phone circuit.
Next go off hook with the switch on the buttset to draw
dial tone. Then use the keypad to dial number , then start
talking.
When you're done go on hook with the switch and pull out
of the phone circuit.
Piece of cake .

I take it you're not in the biz, so to speak. (Seems odd that you would somehow have acquired one, yet be unfamiliar with it).

Well, it's as stated: clip the set's leads to the tip and ring of the line (battery and ground), and push the switch to "talk." Dial your number. Set the switch to "monitor" to either hang up or to listen in on the line without interrupting it (otherwise known as "tapping" the line).

If this is being done with another person's line without permission, be advised: if caught doing so, you could face charges.

Interesting tidbit about buttsets..

If you have 2 buttsets and a toner you can create a talk path between 2 remote locations over twisted pair.

click the toner too continuity. hook the positive to one lead of the toner hook the negative onto the riser or tie pair. on the other end just clip on to the same tie pair with a piece of cross connectand the other buttset. finish the circuit by connecting the negative of the toner onto the returning conducter of the same tie pair. go off hook on the buttsets and you can talk.

Great for testing twisted riser/tie cable with no walkie talkies or nextels.

Hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back