Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

But I love to Watch...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
US
.....Exchange 5.5
Which one of my MANY loging options would I turn on, that would show me who is trying to send smtp mail through my exchange server, and what its response is.

I have an server with an App, that is trying to send out email notifications through my exchange 5.5 sever when ever a 'thing occurs. The App sends out emails just fine, when I have the Apps Server Installed with IIS with Virtual SMTP. Problem is, some locations refuse the emails when they do a Reverse DNS lookup, and see that the server name and the domains MX server name do not match.
My plan was to open smtp relay, and give it my servers address, and try to send emails directly to the exchange server. (The App server and the Exchange Server are at 2 different locations) The app is not the most versatile program out there, but it does allow for that. Problem is, is that its not going thru.
I want to temporarily turn on logging, so I can watch while my server is coming in with some fresh emails.

Any suggestions??? I would love to get down low enough, where I can watch the EHLO and HELO conversations and see where its breaking down??

With that subject line I thought this was going to be about spam!

Anyway, I've not tried this myself but it looks to me like you want to set SMTP Protocol Log to maximum and then check the files \EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back