Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganjass

Technical User
Dec 30, 2003
GB
CE 10
CR10
Progress 9.1D

Hi all,

I'm looking to create business views to allow less technical users to build reports. Are there any limitations \ bugs that i should now about before i create business views and the users start connecting a lot of reports to business views.

Thanks in advance

If you plan on upgrading to business objects xi anytime soon, you should compare/consider universes.

are they more stable? Or have betterfunctionlality?

I really haven't analyzed the differences myself, (please let us know what you find out) but I do know that they are not available in ce10 since the business objects merge w/CE doesn't occur until Bus. Objects Enterprise XI.

I sort of suspect Universes may have some advantages over business views since they were not completely eliminated in the merge. I don't know if the current boe plan is to eliminate either one.

One thing that Universes don't support in XI or even XI R2 is the abiltiy to pull from different data sources such as SQL and Informix. You can do this in Business Views but not Universes. My rep at BOBJ tells me that they are working to incorporate this function in an upcoming release scheduled for next year, but that could change.
If you plan on using Dynamic Parameters in your reports the you have to create them using Busines Views. You can not create a dynamic parameter with a Universe at this time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back