Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Objects Central Management Console - Issue configuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

careymw

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2010
US
If I have this post in the wrong forum I'm sorry..I tired to find the place to post.

I am using BO CMC with Crystal Reports 2008. I have a report that I can run locally on my machine that is based on an access database. This database is stored on one of our shared public drives and does not have a password.
When I schedule the reports to run in the CMC they are failing. The message I am getting is saying:
Error in File ~tmp17e865eca3c0840.rpt: Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters.

The database configuration is the same as when I connect locally. Any suggestions?

First see if you can run the report from your BOE server. I suspect it's a problem with mapped drives; you may need to change the file location to a UNC path.

Take a look at how your BusinessObjects/Crystal Server is configured using the Central Configuration Manager (CCM). If you're using the XI r2 and below, right click on the CMS and select "Properties". If you're in XI 3.1 or CRS 2008, right click on the "Server Intelligence Agent" and select "Properties".

On the first tab, see what userID the service is running under. The Default install has this set to the "Local Services" account. This is a user account that is local to the server where the software is running. It generally doesn't have much, if any network access. So, this needs to be changed to a network "service" account. We usually set this up as an account that is use solely for running BusinessObjects and the password never expires. This is a Best Practice.

If this doesn't solve your problem, log in to the CMC and navigate to the report. Right-click, select Database Configuration. Change the database login from "Use original database logon information from the report." to "Use custom database logon information specified here." using the exact same connection information. This should clear up the problem with the added benefit that you won't have to reset the database info if you update the report from Crystal.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

We have had the same problem, We are running on Windows Server 2008 and Tomcat 5.5. Part of the issue is that our Access DB's are on an Novell network.

I do not know all the details, but when a report is run from the CMC is has a particular user account it uses and that user needs rights to the folder(s) where the data is.

Unfortunately we still have not solved the issue. We believe once we can upgrade our Tomcat to 7 (and re-install BO), the issue will be resolved.

I know this does not help much, but I thought I would share some info.

I tried the portion of the suggestions I could..."Changed the database login from "Use original database logon information from the report." to "Use custom database logon information specified here." using the exact same connection information." This yielded the same error message.
I'll have to wait on the other CCM settings...our administor is on vacation. I will share this information when they return.

Additionally kray4660 we are alson on a Novell network so what you say is interesting. When are you planning to upgrade?

As soon as humanly possible. The staff member working on issue did not want to try to re-install BOXI on a production system.

Since then we have another staff member that has been working with another BOXI system we have. She believes she can get Tomcat installed without having to re-install BOXI.

I will let everyone know if we get it to work. It is a real issue for us for a number of reasons.

Upgrading TomCat will NOT make a difference. BusinessObjects uses TomCat solely for providing the web interfaces (InfoView, CMC, etc.). The SIA, CMS, and other "servers" that make up the BOE system do NOT use Tomcat. They need to be running using a network user ID that has access to the folders where the databases reside.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

In the CMC...if I look at the servers properties it indicates to me that they have Administrator user security.

I'm not familar with where I would need to look if this isn't the correct location. Are you saying these rights don't matter as much as the Administrator would need to have permissions in the directory the access DB is stored in on our public drive?

This is not about "User Security" in the CMC. Log in to the Central Configuration Manager (CCM). If you're in version XI r2 and below, you need to look at all of the servers, if you're on version 3.x, this is all controlled by the Server Intelligence Agent (SIA). You can ignore TomCat in either system.

In either case, double-click on the entry in the CCM to bring up the properties. At the bottom of the first tab, there is a section labelled "Log In As". The default for this during installation is "System Account". This is the "Local Services" account on the server where the software is installed. This account does NOT generally have network access. This is why you can't access your Access databases - they are file based and the account that is "running" the BOE services needs to have access to the network folder where they're located. Your network folks need to create a network user ID that has a password that doesn't expire that can be used solely to run BusinessObjects. That network user ID then needs to have access to the network folder where the database "lives".

-Dell

I'm not familar with CCM...Where or how do you get into CCM...

I connect to the CMC is it a separate connection to another server or do I connect to it from CMC?

I've found the servers through CMC I don't think that this is the same thing.

The CCM is a desktop application that is installed on the report server. There is no way to connect to it through the CMC.

-Dell

So I found this CCM and filed a ticket based on the user that was set up on SIA. (ceadmin) To get it access. I rcvd a reply....

"The ceadmin account is an active directory account, and we could grant access to that account to the G drive share you mentioned.

However, it's not clear to me how it would get there.. in other words, there isn't really a login script to run to map the drive. When you configure Crystal to create the reports, are you able to use a UNC path to that folder, and would use it connect as the ceadmin user?"

I'm not sure how to reply...Would a UNC path work?

You MUST use a UNC path - mapped drives don't work.

-Dell

careymw - Please let me know if you get it work. The user in our SIA is a Novell (and Windows) user. Unfortunately we will not be able to get another server to work with until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back