Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Cases with 5.25 bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9999

Programmer
Jun 19, 2004
US
Is the named thing in the subject even a possibility any more? I'm looking at an upgrade and primarily finding stuff you can't use optical disc drives in any more. I guess you gotta buy a low-speed external USB interface drive you gotta kick around that's always in the way? Plus, they have LEDs and look like a carnival sideshow when they're turned on.

Is there really such a thing as a regular case these days that's not flashy that will just work?

A Google search shows loads of results of cases that have the active light show stuff. Beginning to think I'm just gonna have to put up with a computer competing with the circus. But the problem with the 5.25" bay part is that they're mostly being phased out from what I can tell, and really not seeing a plethora of options on those. Even a trip to a computer store didn't yield anything that wasn't lit up like a Christmas tree and fully USB-only externally.

Unless I'm missing something major, I'd have to think there's some kind of business-friendly case option somewhere, even if I ditch the 5.25" external bay requirement?

Glenn9999,

I used "pc cases non-gamer" in duckduckgo and found a few articles.

One discussion in Reddit was for "Non gamer-y case". So, you are not the only one that doesn't care for flashy LEDs going throughout your keyboard or a housing unit covered with LED tubes. (Unless you're a secrete flashy YouTuber?)[bigsmile]

I think "Business Style Cases" will not disappear too soon. They'll just be much harder to find.

Could you imagine going to a "Business Center" at a hotel and they have 3 computers? One flashing neon green, one flashing bright yellow, and still another glowing aqua blue? What would you choose? I'd personally choose my laptop in case of a WOW or EGA Games Convention was being hosted there.

In regards to the 5¼ bays, I agree with you ... they are being phased out for more USB/PNP devices. Depending on model, some bays are turned on their side.

Here's some companies that make cases:

I recommend looking in their DEFINE models for a more classic look.

I recommend looking in their VALUE SOLUTIONS section to start with.

GL in your search.

--MiggyD

I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moment's gone.

@MiggyD
I read your post and think about what I've found shopping and it seems like maybe the desktop PC makers are shifting to "gaming" because a large enough number have jumped onto laptops and phones that they think they can't sell parts any other way. I'm guessing "Business Centers" are going away too because of that. What I'm finding is basically regular-looking laptops and light show desktops, and the desktops are largely pitched as "gaming devices". It's not really just keyboards and cases, I'm seeing lights on all the different parts inside the computers too (memory sticks with light bars on top of them for instance).

I've thought about getting a laptop, but I've had so many negative experiences with using them in the past. Then I don't get how I'd do half the stuff I do with the desktop on a phone, either at all, or productively. For example, if I had to correspond lots via email on my phone, I simply couldn't do it. And I still really haven't figured out how to interface my phone with this printer I have sitting here, which would be nice.

That said, I've already done some "bailing wire" fixes on my current desktop to get it where it's semi-usable and just might let that suffice assuming it will run Windows 10 okay (I already know 11 is well out of the question). Lots to think about though.

MiggyD - thanks for repeating my recommendation for Fractal Design. I'm going to call it reinforcing my recommendation vs. stealing my idea.

Glenn9999 - I really understand what you are getting at. I definitely prefer full size tactile keyboards than to have to type on a flat silent laptop--let alone on a smart-phone/-tablet. I prefer a display monitor for my icons instead of swiping every which way just to find a document I need. Unfortunately for a lot of us, we'll have to contend with all the "Bells and Whistles" that are being thrown upon us.

I, too, loath laptops. A cracked screen takes more time to fix than simply replacing a monitor--which doesn't normally crack--by two connections (power cord & video line) and it's done.

Keep your spirits up and good luck with your printer too, Glenn.
--MiggyD

goombawaho - You do you. Call it what you will.

I'm glad we both had the same intentions which is ... to help the poster. I'll be glad to re-suggest any good recommendations put forth, including yours. In all honesty I didn't even look at or even noticed the tiny non-descript Link in your post. Sorry about that.

As indicated previously: I used information gathered from a posted discussion originating at Reddit which led me to that particular site--among the other one listed. I did not have any desire nor intention on minimizing your posted comments.

Please have a happier new year.
--MiggyD

I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moment's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back