Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bus Speed vs. RAM speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kposey

Programmer
Mar 23, 2001
US
what are the pros/cons of running 100mhz memory AND 133mhz memory on the same computer, that is capable of handing 133mhz? Does it downgrade my 133mhz chip to 100mhz, or does it just have problems paging the sectors on the 100mhz chip?

PC133 RAM will slow down to the speed of the slowest chip. So if you have PC133 and PC100 the 133 will run at 100. I do this at work for at the time I needed more RAM all we had was PC133. So far I see no problems.

butchrecon has it right. That's true in almost all situations. If you put 133 Mhz chips in a bus which runs max 100 Mhz the system will run at the slower speed. I've got a 366 Mhz running in a motherboard rated for max 350 Mhz. I couldn't run it at 350 because the voltage was too high, so I jumpered the motherboard for 333 Mhz and now when it boots it reports 333 Mhz, and all the diagnostics I've run say the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back