Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bus frequency x 5 ratio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
My supplier has send me the following documentation.
CPU clock: 90Mhz bus frequency x 5 (ratio). I have never heard of a "x 5 ratio" If anyone knows what that means please let me know.
thanks

This simply refers to the 'multiplier' applied to the 'bus' frequency. To explain in simple terms, consider the 'bus' frequency to be the main system operating frequency, in this case 90MHz. Now, the CPU can operate signifigantly faster than this and the bus frequency is multiplied electronically by a certain amount, in your case X5 to produce a CPU clock speed of 5 times 90, or 450MHz. The amount can sometimes be varied in the BIOS, but if increased beyond the manufacturer's reccomendations could cause it to fail. The X5 ratio is simply stating the safe working clock speed of the CPU. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back