Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning Vista to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickel052

Instructor
Mar 27, 2008
CA
Yes, I am aware stupid thread here. I have Vista Home Premium copy saved on my xp computer. 2.90gb in size. I have done this for every other os that I have saved on my cpu. I highlight everything and send to burning drive. But with the previous os's it would be burned to cd. This time I'm trying to burn to DVD because vista is a large file, over 700mb. Whenever I try to send to the burning drive, I get this error;

"Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want to do?

And I have the opitions Retry, Skip, Cancel. When I skip it, it says the same thing for the next files. So it is not allowing me to send any of the files to the burning location. Is it supposed to be doing this? If it helps at all, I am sending it to the drive from a usb memory stick. It seems to send fine when I send to a cd instead of dvd. But I only tried on one folder. All the files wouldnt fit on a cd. And also the drive I am using to burn is a DVD-Ram Drive.

Any help I can get is really appreciated.

It can't be done. What is it that you are trying to achieve?

--
JP

A friend's computer; needs full clean and new install of vista hp. Was trying to burn a copy of vista to dvd. Is there anyway I could get it on a cd or dvd? Is it possible that I could burn it onto multiple cds? Or would setup not recognise the files are divided into different cds?

Thanks

Chances are the back up files for Vista are stored on a hidden partition. Have you tried contacting the computer manufacturer?

--
JP

Seems to me that when I created DVDs from a recovery partition on an HP laptop it required two DVDs.

What DVD Burning software are you using? XP doesn't have any built-in software for burning DVD's.

Will anything you create be bootable, it probably wont be if you are just copying folders? You wont be any better off than if you just stuck the USB drive with the Vista files contained in another machine. You will need a running operating system to start Vista Setup (not Windows 7) from within a working operating system,or you will need a bootable Setup Disk.

All sorts of licensing problems may be further down the track too depending on whether Retail versions, or OEM versions are being used, and whether the correct Product Key is entered. If your friend has a Laptop, or an OEM install, with either requiring special drivers that are not included on your copy of Vista, then that may be a problem too.

The easiest solution for your friend is to look at what recovery options came with his machine and use those to return the machine to how it was when first purchased, after saving any valuable data. Checking in any manual, or with the Manufacturer, should clarify his options.

>A friend's computer; needs full clean and new install of vista hp

Doesn't your friend have their own disks or recovery partition?

He claims he tried to call the manufacturer. They couldn't help him. And linney I am currently not using any burning software I just tried sending it to the burning drive. I wasn't aware that files couldn't be burned to a dvd without software I expected it to be just like a cd. This is also the first time I've tried to burn files to a dvd. Also it isn't just folders its an actual vista install copy. His computer is functional but has a virus that completely took over his computer. Pretty much locked out. Tho I'm pretty sure I can get the setup to start in the os. He had an OEM install, the copy I have is also oem install. I'm not aware whether it has all the same drivers. Tho as far as I am aware nothing with drivers was installed to that computer since he purchased it. Also didn't have anything that needed specific drivers. And my friend is an idiot... I'm not even sure if I would consider him a friend he only calls me when he has computer troubles. I just don't know how to say no to him sometimes. But I will tell him to find the manuals for it and to search for some restore opitions. And he has no disks or recovery partitions. He never even bothered to install anti-virus the idiot he is. Then he calls me to fix his problems.

Well thank you everyone for your advice I greatly appreciate it.

The recovery partition is hidden and unless you know what you're doing, you'll never know it exists. You could try checking the manufacturer's tech support website .

As for saying no, tell him that a complete reformat is going to cost him x amount of dollars - and make that amount reasonable for the work you will have to do. If he's willing to pay, great. If he's not - well, you won't have to worry about him bothering you for free computer labor.

--
JP

Also it isn't just folders its an actual vista install copy"

That may be so, unless it is a complete .iso file (which it doesn't sound like, you may not be able to boot from it on a DVD.

How to Make A Bootable DVD for Windows Vista...??

How to Make A Bootable DVD for Windows 7

This is from the MSDN site (since amended and updated, but you should get the "picture".

"What is an ISO CD Image?
Products posted to Subscriber Downloads are usually posted as ISO image files. An ISO image file is an exact representation of a CD or DVD, including the content and the logical format. ISO files from Subscriber Downloads end
with either an .ISO or .IMG extension. The extension might need to be changed to work with your CD writing software.

Common utilities for writing an ISO file to recordable media such as CD-R include ISORecorder, Nero, and Roxio. The contents of images files can be used as virtual discs using utilities such as Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel for Windows XP, ISObuster, or DaemonTools, or Virtual CloneDrive for Windows Vista. Image files can be mounted locally using the (missing this comment?). For more information about image files, please visit the MSDN FAQ".

See amended description via this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back