Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning to high def or blu ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicalguy

Technical User
Jun 22, 2007
MY
Burning to High Def DVD or blu-ray

Hi, I am about to buy a Canon HV20, and look forward to the beauty of high def. But there is 1 question I have that I am really confused about - how are people keeing permanent copies of there high def footage? By that I mean as follows :

I go on vacation, get back home and edit the footage on my NLE. So far so good. The finished production is no ready for output. But output to what??

As far as I can see, the following is true :

1/ Blu-Ray or HD DVD burners for PC - either do not exist or are so expensive you can forget it.
2/ You can output back to tape, but that means you can only show the finished project to your friends if you plug the camcorder into their TV
3/ You could output the project as a Divx, and load it onto an external drive, (Xbox, PP3 or regular hard drive) and then plug it into your tv. But that has the same reservations as point 2, you can’t give it to your friends to watch.
4/ Output to DVD as SD footage. But that defeats the purpose.
5/ I read that you can edit in your NLE and then burn to standard DVD, and play on a HD DVD player, but you can only fit 30 mins of high def on a standard DVD. Is this true? If so, it may be a partial solution.

Am I missing something here? Everybody has these beautiful new High Def camcorders, but have no ability to edit it into something presentable, and then output a permanent copy for distribution??

I know for the moment I can keep the output on my drive, or return it to tape, but that seems a halfway measure !!

Any ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back