Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

burning to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

George221

MIS
Dec 2, 2005
US
Hi,
New to AIX and running 5.3. I have a 7210 DVDRAM burner attached and defined.
cd0 Defined 03-08-00-0,0 16 Bit LVD SCSI DVD-RAM Drive

How can I burn files with this device? I'm guessing I need to configure it as a burner and use a specific software but which.
Can someone help?
Thanks.

Defined" is bad news, you will not be able to use it until it shows as "Available".
The "defined" means the system saw and configured it at some point but currently it is not available for use.

cfgmgr or a reboot may make it available, check cables and connections only with the power switched off on both the system and drive, scsi DOES NOT support hot plugging, unless in a special hot plug capable scsi bay, usually only found on hard disks - and then you must run the required commands to quiesce the drive bay first.

try the commands:
mkdvd
udfcreate

udfcreate is the way to go if you want to bung odd files onto a DVD over a period of time. Once the disk has a udf format you can mount it and just copy files in the normal way, it behaves just like a normal file system or directory.

Once I got the CD in an available state, I was able to burn an ISO image with the following command:

burn_cd -d cd4 /tmp/myfile.iso

I found another IBM article using the cdrecord command but it didn't seem to like the devid of cd4.

cdrecord dev=cd4 fs=4096k -v speed=20 -dao -eject -pad -data myfile.iso

Any idea why?
Also, with the udfcreate command, can you elaborate on the part "just copy files in the normal way"?

This is the error I'm getting on the cdrecord command:

Cdrecord 1.9 (powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J÷rg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/cd4'
devname: '/dev/cd4'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
cdrecord: Bad file number. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

I was under SU and the cdrecord -scanbus command gives me the same error. I tried reinstalling the software but that didn't help:
Cdrecord 1.9 (powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J÷rg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Unable to scan on AIX. Cannot open SCSI dri
ver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

elaborate on the part "just copy files in the normal way""

just use normal AIX commands like cp or mv a file to the mounted dvd filesystem, just as if it were a normal filesystem / directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back