Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning a CD ISO file to DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsgs

Instructor
Aug 22, 2008
I'm having a problem with my DVD drive on my Dell 630m laptop. It's refusing to read CDs while having no problem with DVDs.

I need to burn an ISO made for CD. But since me drive's gone beserk am not being able to do it. I've tried burning it on a DVD with Nero but getting the message that disk is not of correct format.

Is there any other way to burn the ISO to a DVD instead of CD?

Also I need to format my laptop. Since CD is not working, is there anyway to make my external hdd bootable so i can install XP from it?

Have you tried starting the laptop with a bootable CD to ensure that it is not just a windows issue with the cd?

Some burning software apparently will burn a cd iso to a DVD iso.

dvd decrypter supposedly will do it but i have never tried.

Sorry but I can burn iso's to dvds or cds without issue, I have a feeling that you may have deeper issues in the fact that the drive laser could have gone.

The ISO format really doesn't matter what it's writing to and generally neither does Nero, as long as it's a dvd combo drive it will write to cd\dvd.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Yes, it could very well be a software issue, but as tlcscousing suggested, you can test that by trying to boot with a bootable CD as a test to be sure.

In the meantime to get tap into the ISO's contents, you can use a program called ISOBuster to extract the data onto your hard drive. Then you can access it directly from there or burn it to CD/DVD as a data disc.

The following links should get you started:

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

tlcscousin:

Yes I've tried that and it does not work. I confirm there's a problem with my DVD drive. It's not a combo but a DVD-writer. It has no problem reading DVDs. The problem is with CDs only. I've tried different CDs but in vain.

It is not even booting from CD.

SimonDavies:

This is the error message i get when trying to burn the iso to a DVD.

2jafc6x.jpg

tlcscousin:

Yes I've tried that and it does not work. I confirm there's a problem with my DVD drive. It's not a combo but a DVD-writer. It has no problem reading DVDs. The problem is with CDs only. I've tried different CDs but in vain.

It is not even booting from CD.

SimonDavies:

This is the error message i get when trying to burn the iso to a DVD.

2jafc6x.jpg

A google show other people with the same issue.

Some say DVD decypter and others imgburn

I've used IMG and it's pretty good, but not tried it for this purpose.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

jsgs,
Have you tried ISOBuster? That would be the next step. With it you can access the .ISO and pull out what you need.

Are you able to burn a data CD or data DVD? If so, then you can extract the ISO as I described and burn it onto a data disc.

With UltraISO you can burn DVDs from CDs and ISOs, it uses either its build in burn module or if you have NERO, will use it's module... if it recognizes the DVD as DVD there will be a check mark called "DVD Disc" and will convert on the fly...

PS: with prices of DVD Burners dropping why not just go and buy a new drive and be done with the problems... IDE drives run between 25 and 30 bucks, and SATA ones 10 bucks more...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I've done it with PowerISO and it went on fine.

But that doesn't still explain why my drive is still able to read and write to DVDs but not CDs. Any suggestions?

BadBigBen:
It's my Dell laptop's drive. Dell support is not available in my country and I'm very doubtful about being able to obtain a genuine built-in Dell optical drive around here.

A quick search shows this to be a very common issue. Only thing I can think of is clean the drive.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

But that doesn't still explain why my drive is still able to read and write to DVDs but not CDs. Any suggestions?

DVD drives use two different wavelengths for the intensity of the laser when switching between CD's and DVD's. So for one reason or another, your drive has a mechanical failure and is unable to make that switch.

As Ben suggested, it's time to buy a new drive. I recommend looking on newegg.com for the best deals on OEM (bulk) drives that will be as cheap as $20-25.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Being that the problem DVD drive is in a Dell 630m laptop, I don't think it'll be as cheap as a desktop DVD drive would be. They are available though, as a real quick Google search revealed.

Freestone - thanks for the heads up there... I totally forgot about it being on a lappy...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks to all for your help. I'll look for a new drive. If don't get one then I'll go for an external DVD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back