Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burned CDR Folders appear empty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicka

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
GB
I burnt a CDROM (578mb data) on an LG Cdwriter. Session completed and chose "be able to read in all PC's" choice at the eject stage. When I put the CD in my Laptop or PC at work the folders are visable but no contents. Properties still show as 578mb data. Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks

I have had this before!!

I think it was down to the speed at which the CD was being cut. I was using 8x speed media and trying to cut it at 12x or something like that. Check the media speed and adjust accordingly!

Hope that helps

You might try brining the cd back up in your burning software, and choosing to close session again.

I have had instances where I burn MP3's on a cd, half of them didn't work, but after I added more MP3's to the CD and close that session, it made the former bad files good again.

Stressed is right in that it could be a speed issue. If re-closing session doesn't work, then you might try burning it again at a slower speed regardless of whether the media is rated at your burn speed or not. Good luck, and Happy Computing

Some good ideas there although the burned CD can be read on some cdrom drives - I tried in a server on my network at work and it read fine! I think its a driver problem rather than a speed issue.

However I will try burning at 8 x to see if that helps.

This is the first time it has happened but then again this is the first time I have used Maxell CD-R 80 XL - S Blanks (although rated at 48x !)

Sounds like the CDROMS that won't read it are cheap or old and either can't read from that color die on the cd or because it was burned at too fast of a speed. Try burning at a slower speed before tossing those ones out.

Also, clarify whether you burned copies of actual files to the CD, or did you burn from an ISO or BIN image?

Sometimes if you make a CD from an image, then the organization in the Table of Contents doesn't appear correctly. Some CDROM drives can correct this, others can't. At least that's been my experience.

If you are just burning from actual files on your hard drive and not an image, then try the "slower speed" suggestion already mentioned.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back