Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burn A VideoCD...HOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
I have compiled a video file in MGI Videowave. I followed the instructions and saved it as Video CD option.
How do I now burn that file to disk so it will play on my DVD player which plays VCD's

cheers
kwunder

I guess you have to use a CD writing program that supports VCD AND the CD Writer Unit you use. in my case WIN ON CD 3.6 has this facility. However I have never used it to write one. I have only used it to write a PAL Camcorder movie to AVI XING to MPG1 movie for a Relative to take back to CANADA, as their VCR's only play 525-60-NTSC.colour.

Got it sorted Paul thanks. You can use Nero to burn to CD as a video CD. Only thing I haven't sorted is that it doesn't play full screen on my DVD player so I guess I need to adjust the settings for size in MGI.

Any ideas ?

Thanks Paul
kwunder

HI kwunder hrrm well you have a tradeoff in playing time
if you make it bigger, then there are more bits to code
so the vcd movie will be shorter time. if you change the frame rate to half 25 fps or quarter 12.5fps then the playing time will change, but with more interframe flicker
this is exactly the same in an AVI to MPG1 conversion @12.5 the video looks like an old Kodak 8mm movie. the Sony MAVICA still camera has the same facility /Effect. if U
have you ever played around with AVI to MPG1 you will know what I mean. I use the XING s/w convertor Ta Ta

Ta Paul.

It's a matter of trial & error I think.

Thanks again

kwunder

I have created a 36 minute video CD. The source material is digital, and therefore best quality, but after compression to VCD suitable format, the footage goes all blocky on my DVD player. Is the 3xx x 2xx size format fixed, as I am certain if I could compress to say 640 x 480, the picture would be more acceptable.

kwunder

kwunder, according to the VCD specs, it is. If your DVD player supports SVCD (480x480 & 720x480, MPEG2) you might want to try that route. But, I have found that with my DVD player, if i burn a VCD in Nero but use a MPEG2 video file @ 720x480 it will play, kinda. I say kinda because the video doesn't diplay until i search forward for about 2 seconds, but after that, it displays fine.

blaksplash
Yes. I have had a dabble with s-vcd and the results are stunning. The same 36 minute video went on easily and the quality is brilliant. Only drawback I have is that I loose any counter/time display on my DVD player, and I also lose the ability to repeat the disk over & over. Not really a big problem, but irritating none the less.
The next problem I have to overcome is I can't seem to set up my system & Digicam so I can send the movie back to the Digicam from the PC....

Thanks mate
kwunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back