Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bundled Copy of XP -

Status
Not open for further replies.

csxkidd

Technical User
Apr 16, 2008
US
Hi,

I have a Compaq S4020wm that I replaced the motherboard and processor in. So, it's really nothing but a compaq case now I guess. PSU was replaced too.

I tried to run my copy of XP that was already installed on my hard drive when my system was running fine, before I had to replace motherboard but all I could get was the blue screen. The recovery CD's wouldn't work because it didn't recognize the model.

I know the OS was bundled, but I do have a license for it with the key on the side of my PC case. Would Microsoft send me a copy of XP, or could I download or use any copy of Windows XP as long as I used the original key that came with my Compaq? I contacted HP and they offered no solution but to try and sell me another model. I hate to lose the operating system.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Thanks,
Chris

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is part of the OEM license ageement that you see when you first run Windows. For OEM versions of Windows, the license to use it is tied to the hardware that it originally came with.

I've noticed some wiggle room when using one hardware specific version on another machine from the same manufacturer but your situation is sufficiently different that the key is going to be worthless for your current hardware and you have already found that it will not attempt to load from your original CD.

You have lost the ability to use that version of the OS. Somebody else may one day need it from you as people lose their install stuff. If you attempt to sell it be specific what model it came with. It will install on more than the WalMart version of the series, and probably on other series built at around the same time.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back