Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bump-Map in X3 not working for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu

Programmer
Sep 23, 1998
US
Hi all,

I have Corel Photopaint X3 and the effects/custom/bump-map is not working for me. Even if I start with a new document with a medium color (not white) with no mask, and use one of their presets... it still wont work...

However, when I start with any image it seems to be only using the image itself as a bump map and will not respond differently if i choose a new starting "bump-map" image.

Anyone know how to fix this???

Mitsu

I am not sure I understand your question. I guess it might help if we knew what sort of effect you were looking for. I haven't used this tool, but in reading through the help files, it seems pretty clear how it works. Based on my understanding, a solid color will do little to nothing (I am basing this on the assumption that you are starting with "a medium not white" color - implying only one color.)

Just to be clear that we are looking for the same effect - the help files say:
Bump map — adds texture and patterns to an image by embedding its surface with a relief based on the pixel values of a bump map image. The pixel values of the bump map image represent surface elevation. You can use a preset bump map or load a custom bump map image. You can specify the surface and lighting properties of the effect."

In essence, this takes a difference of the color pixels in your image, and compares it to the pixels in the presets. It then creates highlight and shadow based on those pixel variations. If you are trying to go for an embossed look of the preset behind your custom image, I don't think this is the tool you are looking for - at least not in the sense of making a "basket weave", or "brick road" appear embossed behind your image.

I may be misunderstanding your question, and you may be asking something different, so sorry if this is elementary to you. Maybe a sample image of what you are trying to do would help. Or even explain a little more in what way it is not working for you. The different presets will show little varriation between all of them. I am sure there is a usefull feature for this tool - I just don't know off the top of my head what it might be. It's probably why I don't use it (but then, I use very little of the effects).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back