Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bulleted text

Status
Not open for further replies.

skate77

Technical User
Apr 22, 2009
CA
How do you align all your text in a bulleted list to the same left side. Right now my wrapping text lines up under the bullet for the first line.

You can either:

1. Set a negative first line indent and a positive indent. So -5 and 5 for the first line indent and indent
*see screen shot

2. Put your text cursor at the start of the text you want to align it to and go Type>Insert Special Character>Other>Indent to Here (there should be a shortcut reference beside it too so you don't have to go menu route all the time.

* You can see here I have an indent of 16 and a negative indent of -8

10696891.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!

Now I have another question, which may be obvious but I can't figure it out. If I have a numbered list and I want to change the glyph of say the "1" into a different version of the number, how do i do it? The default "1" for the font i'm using looks too much like a roman numeral for my taste.

In the Bullets and Numbering section you can change the numbering to be (i, ii, iii, iv) and other things.

But I think you want the font to be different so you get 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

So what you'd do here is find a font that you like for the numbering.

Then create a character style with this font in the settings and call it something memorable like "Numbered List".

Then in the Bullets and Numbering section of the Paragraph Style, you'll see an area designated for character style. Choose the style you created.

Hmmm...not exactly. I actually have chosen the font and the particular "1" of that font is not good, so I want to change that one character only.

If that's not possible I'll just have to do it manually.

Thanks

It is possible. You're just doing it wrong.

File>Export and choose InDesign Interchange

Go to and send yourself the file and post the download link here.

I can download it, do it for you and send back.

If you don't want to do that you can get my email from my blog.

If you have any sensitive material I suggest creating a sample file of what you want done.

I don't mind helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back