Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulleted List alignment issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Technical User
Mar 7, 2009
US
I'm certain most of you know this, or know of another way, but I figured I'd attempt to give back some things that i have learned or found out.

I had a problem arise that I had to seach the net for the answer. What I found was a great tip which I'll share here.

When creating a bulleted list, if one of the bullets is quite long, and goes to the next line, it aligns with the bullet, not the first line of text. Why this is so, I dunno. I created a paragraph style called Bullets and looked through every Paragraph Style option, changed every value and found no way to change it.

If you start a bulleted list, place the cursor to the left of the first word and hit CTRL+\ and it will align to that point.

As a curiousity, I went to Edit/Keyboard Preferences and typed in CTRL+D to see what it linked to, and it was unassigned. So I don't know if there is any other way to do this apart from the keyboard shortcut. if there is, please post it here.

The more information we have, the better we'll be.

To put that in you can use Type>Insert Special Character and "Indent to Here" is listed in one of the drop down menus there.

What you need to do is when making the paragraph style is go to the Bullets and Numbering section.

From here you can change the indent and first line indent and if you like insert a tab stop for that bullet and number option.

This will make all your bullets and numbers line up when they go over 2 lines.

I should add that you need to put an indent of a positive value and a first line indent of a negative value

That is:

Indent = 10 mm

First line indent = -10 mm

Thanks for the tip on putting in a negative for the first line indent. I wasn't aware you could put a negative number there.

In my mind, it would be easier to have a checkbox under Bullets and Numbering called "Align to First letter" or some such. Especially for all of us newbs who are used to MSOffice's default bullets.

Thanks!

gw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back