Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulk Password Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxodont

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
CA
I want to create a whole bunch of users (hundreds) and have them all assigned a default password. I mass created the users, but they have no passwords yet, and I'd rather not have to go through and type in a password to each user. Any suggestions on a way to mass create / change passwords would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I looked into doing this very thing a few years ago now and I seem to remember struggling with the creation of the password bit at database level (because it's incrypted).
I have got a copy of some source code for bulk user deletions, so can let you know the files in question (on 31i anyway).
I would suggest the best way of doing it is actually to map a direct input process and store the user paramaters in an access database (in the same way you write bulk update data migration processes).

Actually, in SU10 you can mass create users w/passwords. Just expand on the change log when you're finished to see the users, and then expand one more time to see their passwords.

Now, this does NOT allow you to also do mass changes to users passwords. I'm still not sure if SAP (4.6c is our version) has a way of handling mass password changes.

Thank you for your response as well Duffman. I will certainly inquire as to whether that's something we should try or just manually change the passwords in question. (As a brand new SAP user, I'm getting pretty good with security, but I haven't gotten the chance to really do much ABAP yet, which makes your suggestion a little hard for me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.