Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulk emails fail from 3rd party software

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
We have 2x CAS and 2x MBX servers on SP2. We have a finance application that emails people when they have had a payment made to them. The application asks for credentials when sending. Several months ago this was not working and I needed to create a ThrottlingPolicy and increasing the MessageRateLimit to 500 and this resolved the issue.

But the finance software had an upgrade and now the fault has returned. I increased the MessageRateLimit to 1000 just to see if that had any effect which it didn't. The application pops up an error saying it was unable to relay which points towards Exchange but the fault is intermittent - sometimes emails go through (not to all, but some), sometimes no emails go through, sometimes emails go to internal recipients but not external, and sometimes emails go to both internal and external. Or at least that's what the end user tells me.

The supplier of the software is not overly helpful. They have a small application that can be used to test email sending but I can send 250+ emails with this and it works perfectly so I don't think it works the same as the main application and is therefore misleading.

The 'unable to relay' error would make sense if it was attempting unauthenticated and Exchange had not been configured to allow that but the application requires email credentials to send with.

Given that the emails aren't successful logs wouldn't show much as they didn't get sent. Or are there logs that might show an attempt and the failure?

Any ideas?

If I were you, I'd create a new custom Receive Connector tied to the IP of the system that sends the emails. I would set the Permissions to allow only Exchange Servers and set the Auth to only be Externally Secured. That would allow that system to completely bypass supplying auth at all. I would then check the variables on that particular connector and lift any max recipients and other options to fit with the volume and character of the emails you are sending.

Before testing it I'd disable whichever connector you have been using for this purpose to make sure that the new connector gets used.

Maybe you've already done this. If so, what sorts of Transport events are you seeing?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back