Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulk Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

YodaMan81

Technical User
Jul 8, 2003
US
Currently there is a form on our website that requires the user to enter their email. We have had this form in place for about a year or so and now we have a list of around 200-300 emails.
Now what I want to know is whether sending a mass email to all these users is considered SPAM. The recipients will be customers and the email will be to tell them we have upgraded or something in that regard. We will not email to sell anything to them just to inform about anything they would need to know in regards to our relationship with them.
I have tried looking this up online but there is so much other junk that comes up that its going to take way too long to find something useful.
-Thanks
I will just be sending them an email at most once every 4 months (if that).
Anyone have any clue where I can find accurate information regarding this topic?

IMHO, yes.
Normally, when I - you - or anyone else enter our email on a form, we have the option of indicating whether or not we'd like to receive future notificaitons, mailings, whatever from the merchant/site management/etc.
If you've done this, and those persons on your list indicated "Yes," then ok.
Otherwise, it's SPAM. Unsolicited = SPAM.
You should let the customer know up front that you are collecting their email addresses in order to contact them in the future and give them the opportunity to opt in or out.
If you haven't covered these bases, I would send them an email ONCE. This email should indicate how you got their address and that you would like to give them the opportunity to opt in or out of your mail list. If they return saying yes, then fair game. If they say no, or do not reply, then leave them alone.

Just my 2 centavos....good luck.

I totally agree with you but I am trying to prove this using factual websites/sources. Any clue as to where I can find them?
Because technically they are not unsolicited, because they gave their email to us and are our regular customers...or am I wrong.
well bottom line either way is I need to prove it to some people w/ more than just some expert opinions that I received. I believe you...they wont!
Thanks again.

Yodaman,

Here's a thought, the U.S. Congress and the European Community are both looking at ways of regulating SPAM - perhaps one or both would have a definition that you could use. (At least I would imagine that a law will require a definition.)

Because technically they are not unsolicited, because they gave their email to us and are our regular customers...or am I wrong.

Maybe. Were they specifically told that the addresses would be used for such correspondence? Were they asked "would you like to receive future corespondence form us?" If yes, and they consented, then ok. But, just because they filled it in a blank, and there was no notice that they'd be receiving future solicitations, then I'd say you should err on the side of caution. It's one thing to provide an email with the expectation of receiving an order confirmation or a notice that a product was shipped and "here's your tracking number," but another to start sending advertisements without specifically asking for consent. Personally, I've severed business relationships over the same thing. Just because I, or one of my employees, gives you a contact number or email address does not give you license to start telemarketing me or spamming me. If I say YES, you can call me or email me in the future re: new products or special deals for subscribers, then the gate's open...but only if that two-way communication of intent/consent happened.

This is my interpretation, though. I tend to move more cautiously than some. And...your company is likely way more straight-up than those more traditional spammers that offer overnight mortgages, enhanced staying power, and/or adding three inches to your...um...monitor size.

This issue is one of the issues at the heart of the whole SPAM debate. You saw how many people stepped up and told telemarketers to bugger off here in the U.S. back in October. I think similar measures for SPAM are imminent as litigation increases.

But...I'm hardly speaking authoritatively.

Here's a few sources to start with, you can find a ton more with Google. Hopefully you can find what you need to inform your higher-ups:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back