Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bulk create home folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadak1

Programmer
Mar 9, 2001
GB
does anyone know how to bulk create home folders, i have 330 to create, not good. windows 2000 server, so i can use the home folder of \\server\%username%. any help appreciated. i've just bulk created all the users in AD.

Since this is just a one time event, you don't need to get too fancy.

Try exporting your list of user accounts to a csv file.
To do this, open Computer Management/Users and Groups/Users then click on Action/Export List.

Once you have created the csv file, using Excel you can easily remove the columns that you don't want ( IE: Full name and description ).

Now insert a new column A and populate it with the "MD" or "MKDIR" command in every line that has a corresponding name in column B.

Now save it as a tab delimited text file with .bat file extension. Or save it with the .txt file extension and rename it to .bat later. You should then be able to run the bat file to create your folders.

This is rather simplistic, but I think it is probably the quickest way to do what you want. You may have to do some tweaking and add some error checking.

much appreciated, thanks. done and it works, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back