Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Built In Security Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZipperHeadMan

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2005
CA
My domain has 4 domain controllers and 3 member servers.
All running Server 2003.
All client machines are XP.

When I create a share on a member server (or XP box)I cannot add (or see for that matter) any of the built in domain security groups. Specifically the Backup Operators group for the domain.

I'm logged in with an administrator account.

Is this normal?
If not how do I correct it?

Must be normal as I also can't see them on a member server.

i can see them on my servers...

Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

I believe these are only visible on the DC's not member servers.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

They are there. The member server must be part of the domain (i.e. attach it just like you would a client PC). I would suggest loging in using a domain account that has local admin permissions to save yourself some hassle. When you wish to add memberships to an ACL, look up towards the top of the window. You will see a "locations" box. Click and pick your domain to look in.... or simply type them in manually... i.e. MyDomain\Domain Users ... into the list window directly.

Note: if you are logged in with a local account and not a domain account, type them manually into the list and when you select OK, windows will ask you for a domain account to validate your permissions to see the domain.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Regardless if the member server is a part of a domain or not, 2003 member servers cannot see these domain groups.
Nor can XP boxes.
Reason being is a member server has local groups to perform these same functions. I got this info from CA tech support in regards to a backup issue I'm having.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back