Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Built in firewall in server 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscopix77

Technical User
Sep 19, 2005
GB
Hi all

I was wondering if there was a built in firewall in windows server 2000. The reason I'm asking is because we will be moving datacentres and temporarily we will move the cisco firewall as well, leaving the server withouth the pix. Does windows server 2000 have built in ipsec like 2003 or any other built in security/firewall feature?

cheers

Yes, Windows 2000 does have built in IP Security and TCP/IP filtering. I don't know if it is like Windows 2003 because I haven't used the firewall in 2003, but it is definitely there in Windows 2000 server. If you pull up the properties for your network adapter, then check out the TCP/IP properties, then click Advanced, then go to Options you can find it.

As kmcferrin says, its there, sort of, as individual configurable components under the NIC TCP/IP properties.

It doesn't exist as a stnadalone GUI as in 2003 Server. I'm sure there are probably other enhancements to the 2003 version as well.

Depending on what you are doing and what connections you are protecting, I would consider getting a $50 DLink router/firewall device for a temporary setup. It won't do much more than NAT and port blocking, but that might be all you need without having to touch your server's network properties setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back