Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Built an Application Web, VB, UNIX scripting or any other suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorney

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
CA
Hello,

I need to create something that would collect data in several systems and put them in a Word file.

- First I was thinking of a web page where the user will use a drop down menu or manual input to point toward the right site. (name)
- once the info is on the page the user will have to click on GO...
This Go will initiate a telnet to a system and login automaticaly.. telnet 10.x.x.x -u user -z password
then once loged in automatically launch a command and the results of this command will be saved in a file on the server.
- once this step done it will initiate another command which will do the capture to a different file.
-once doen it will exit and from there the word file need to collect some parts of the 2 files. The pointiers will always be the same, so for example I'm looking at power values, the wors pwer is always at the same place in these output but I need the next 20 characters next to it. Same for the other file but need attenuation next 20 characters... then put this in a template Word file for nice report..

I mentionned only 2 steps here but i will have way more...
Is it better to built this in VB, Web, UNIX scripting, or whatever you would suggest???
The script in UNIX are ongoing process, but I want to put this all together and initiate a single command with the right Site to collect info...

Please need your opinion and direction..
Thanks,
Sylvain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back