Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

building touch screen application

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReportDr00

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2007
US

Does any have in the past or know about how to go about building a touch screen application.
I just want to know whether it could be done using VB.Net also how to incorporate the touch screen features.
For Example like printing boarding card on airport or self check out counters at walmart or target.
If a simple sample is provided i would build on it.

Regards

Armani

I've dealt with touch screen on mobile apps a few times a long time ago. Typically, the touchscreen driver will pass an event through toyour code taht you will have to handle. If it's not handled, then it goes away (no response).

It can be done in VB.net as long as you have the proper api's to handle the touch screen installed. Typically, there'll be an SDK from the manufacturer of the touch screen that will have some good examples for you to start with. If you don't have a touch screen to work with, check out the mobile developments emulators. There's some that have touch screen models. The mouse-click would represent the touch.

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

Shouldn't forget to stress it requires something running a windows OS. The windows framework required to run a VB.net app requires windows. It has been a few years, but the grocery company I worked for in the past used a system for their touch screens. The whole system was based off of some type of UNIX if I remember correctly and each check stand was only a little bit more than Dumb Terminals on a network. Not quite the right term there (little more function required than a normal DT), but I hope you get my meaning. I didn't really have anything to do with it so I can't give any firmer information on it than that, but these are some of the things that you need to keep in mind.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.

Thanks for your response, any references or resources you could direct me to in regards to building touch screen app?

Really appreciate your feedback

Armani

Sorwen brings up a VERY important fact. You have to know what hardware you're programming against before you can say what language you're going to use.

Before anyone could give specific advice, we'll need to know what hardware you're planning on using. If it's Windows Tablet based, then there's tons of examples on MSDN that can get you started.

Without more details, noone can point you to the proper resources :).

I will be using monitors, just like how you see in walmart or target. I want to build hospital check in and scheduling system that uses touch screen monitor and also should be able to open in PDA's or any hand held devices.

Well, for the PDA's you can go out and get the Window's Mobile SDK. For the monitors, you need to go to the manufacturer that you want to use and get their SDK. They MIGHT require you to purchase one first...but that won't be an issue because you will need it to develop with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back