Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building New Comp, Cables!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexK12

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
help! i'm building a new computer for the first time ever, will be getting my HD, mobo, and RAM tomorrow.
I already have everything else. The complete lack of cables and screws in the stuff I have received already is alarming....my case didn't come with any screws at all...of course it is a black screwless evercase but i think i need some screws.. and the cd-rw only comes with this really small looking cord.

i'm going to compusa tomorrow to buy my hd so i need advice as to what other stuff i should buy, i.e. ide cables and screws and other?
my setup is 80gb hd/256mb ram/1600+ XP/epox 8k5a2+/liteon 40x/12x/48x/ /heirochi 350 w psu/8500 le 64 mb

thanks

Don't worry Alex!
If your case is really screwless it have all you need for mounting motherboard and peripheral.
IDE and floppy cables have to be with motherboard.
The cable you received with your cd-rw is an audio cable to connect the cd-rw drive to sound card or motherboard if sound card is built-in.
And one more.
If you will connect you HDD on one IDE channel of motherboard but the cd-rw drive to another you need an additional IDE cable.

Don't be tempted to put the CD drive onto the same cable as the hard drive, this will slow your system down considerably. Always use the second IDE channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back