Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building home lab, question about counterfeit cisco equipment. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob747

Technical User
Apr 23, 2008
US
I have been studying for the CCNA exam a couple hours a day for the last month. I took the exam a few weeks ago and missed it by 24 points. The theory I have no problem with but it was the hands on lab questions (specifically NAT, Frame Relay, and ACL's) that killed me. Packet tracer is obviously too limited for practice and dynagen was great but even with idle PC values set to get a lot of routers running simultaneously would get taxing on my PC. Dynagen with GNS3 also had a lot of bugs. So I am ready to build my own lab, the advice I have recieved in this forum has been great my question is authenticity of cisco equipment. I know there is a lot of counterfeit T1/CSU/DSU in circulation. It is easy to pick the counterfeit WIC's but what about routers like anything in the 2600 family. Maczen posted a great site in another post cablesandkits.com but I was wondering if there was an easy way to tell authenticity of a router or switch other than checking for the hologram and the serial number ect.

rob747,

I have bought a lot of Cisco equipment on eBay, can not say if any of it is counterfeit but it has all worked as expected side-by-side with stuff we bought new from a Cisco reseller!

I think the best thing is to READ the auction on eBay - try to read between the lines -

Who is selling it?

Where did they get it?

What other stuff are they selling?

What have others said about the prior sales?

How long have they been with eBay?

Do they take Paypal or just checks and money orders?

Is it too good to be true?

I often ask the seller a question just to see if they take the time to answer and know what they are selling! I look at the pictures and the output of "show" commands. All of this can be faked but the more they have listed in the auction and the more I read "between" the lines the more I talk myself out of a buy - and I have been happy with what I have gotten so far!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

As usual I am inclined to agree with CiscoGuy! I check Seller stats religiously and have yet to be disappointed (Knock on wood)!!! LoL

CablesAndKits is definitely the way to go for the 3640 routers.. I would recommend them over the 2610 for a couple of reasons... 2610 cannot support 12.4 but the 3640 can if it has 64/16 (DRAM/Flash).. It can support 12.4 Enterprise with 128/32... You will generally pay the same price for a 2610 as you will for a 3640 with 32/8 installed.. The difference is that the 32/8 can later be upgraded if you decide to go 12.4 for added features...

If you find a really good deal on the 2610's (Like say 3 for $80 then by all means grab them!!! LoL) Just be sure that there is an included NON-DOA guarantee

I missed a 2610 with two WIC-1T's installed for $80 total last week.. Someone clicked Buy Now faster than I did.. LoL The cards were worth the total cost and I needed them at the time.. (Could have given the router to one of my classmates)..

Models to look for:
ROUTERS:
2610XM, 11XM, 21XM, 51XM (12.4 upgradeable)
3640 (12.4 upgradeable)

SWITCHES:
2924XL
(2960, 3550, 3560 are much more expensive)

MODULES:
WIC-1T
WIC-2T
NM-4T
NM-4A/S

Hope this helps!!!
~B

My question: What other modules do you guys recommend for CCNP? No ISDN but what of the CSU/DSU modules and what sort of setup for those.. Have not researched it yet...

maczen,

I just went to your CablesAndKits and I must say from the looks of things the prices are NOT BAD :) :)

It is a few bucks more then some of the "deals" I have found on eBay but it might be nice to get stuff that is backed up with a warrenty - and you do not have to hope that you do not get "sniped" at the last moment or get in a bidding war - at very least you can see what they sell the item for and stop your bidding knowing you can buy it for less!

Thanks for the info - you get a Pink star

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

And don't forget that they give you a free pack of M&M's and a sticker.. LoL

From what I have seen "trend-wise" by vigorously watching eBay (Just got outbid on a 2950-24 that went for $66.. LoL) CablesAndKits is the best place for the 3640 router (eBay included).. If you read the Wendel Odom blog on building a CCNA/CCNP lab he even values those routers at costing $200 but C$K's seem to have an endless supply of 64/16 for $99...
They are also the best option for CAT5e/CAT6 cables... As for the 26xx, 26xxXM, or the 29xx switches discussed above.. I would check eBay first....

(About the 3640 and options... I would point out that it may possibly make more sense to buy the 3640 32/8 from C&K since a 128/32 upgrade kit on eBay runs around $60 and the 32/8's come with a face-plate ($30)).. Just a thought!

For the purposes of anyone wandering in here looking for info on where to begin building their CCNA lab I would suggest and buy two 3640 64/16 routers (missing faceplates).. Then I would start watching eBay... If it is a person who just does not want to use eBay (I don't know why but I have known some).. Then also buy a few (x3) 2924XL's from C&K's... And if it is an individual that just wants everything to come together in a package with all of the cables/modules and all then try after eBaying "Cisco CCNA Lab"... One of the guys in my class has more money than time and this is the option he took.. Bought a pre-built lab on eBay for $495.. I believe..
NOTE: The process of searching, researching ETC. while building my lab has proved to be an invaluable part of my understanding Cisco equipment and I would highly recommend it to anyone else who wants to actually learn and are not just after certification (Although I want the paper too.. LoL)

Lastly, CiscoG made a very good point.. Although I have had great success in the last month building my lab and not getting "swindled" out of any of my hard earned cash there is something to be said for ordering a product and not having to worry... Just remember to watch who you buy from on eBay.. Saw three 2621XM's selling for $80 the other day but the seller only had 1 previous transaction and it was a relatively new account.. You make the call there but I let that one pass.. (Although someone probably made off like a bandit there!!! I can almost promise you that since I didn't buy them they all worked perfectly!)

Happy eBaying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back