Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a remote disaster recovery center

Status
Not open for further replies.

01backuper

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2006
A2
Hello there,

Has anyone ever accomplished/attended the setup of a remote disaster recovery center? I need opinions and advice. It would also be great if anyone can guide me to the appropriate bibliography (documentation). We're planning on setting up a geographically remote disaster recovery center which would take over in case our main system goes down. Having a system with five V440 servers and two V880 servers (a. infra1, infra2, websrv1, websrv2, backupsrv) (b. dbase1, dbase2)
Systems are clustered, but we don't really require the remote ones to be clusterd, actually the remote equipment are inferior to the original system, and less servers (a V120, a V480 and a V280 machine). Running Oracle 10g and syncing the database would be needed.

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am currently in the process of doing a similar exercise. I dont know which of us is further along, but if you think comparing notes could be of assistance, I can be reached at henrywinston@yahoo.com

I'n in this with you.....Please add me to your thread. I'm at eadesanmi@yahoo.com.

Regards,
Sanmi

It appears that we haven't yet found anyone with prior experience... Anyway, i was speaking with a friend technician who told me that since the database will be installed there too, we need instructions - opinions from Oracle themselves, who will tell us how they want the OS configured in order to accept the db. By the way we're using Solaris 9. If anyone of you two folks that replied have already started marching, tell me what you did.

Thanks again

Allright, first action:
We set up the V120 as a firewall machine, using OpenBSD 3.8 for Sparc 64. We gave it an IP from the original set of servers package, and an internal IP from a new package which will be used for intercommunication between the disaster servers.
Anything new i'll let you all know

I've done this a few times - can you tell me more about what you need to know? I assume you are restoring from backups (root file systems and application file systems) onto another server with the same architecture. Are you using Veritas? Disk Suite? What versions of solaris?

No, i'm not in the process of restoring anything, we're trying to build a data disaster recovery station, and the machines to equip it are less than the original package.
Thus, we're not going to use any cluster architecture.
The V120 has already been given the firewall role, with an OpenBSD 3.8 OS. The V480 will be a dbase server while it will also serve as a websrv.
The V280 will be used as an infrastructure server. So, after the Solaris 9 OS gets installed on the latter two servers, we will have to install Oracle 10g and try to sync the two databases.
Now i'm stuck in other hardware problems. (see new thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back