Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a Proj. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyT

Programmer
Nov 15, 2000
US
I have been writing Foxpro code for the last 12 years but I haven't had a need to move to VFP although I have purchased each new version. I have now found a reason to make the change, I need to use long file names for a new application. It is just one program and a couple of files but that run in a batch mode with no intervention by an operator except a dialog box to get one of the files that changes name daily. The program runs just fine in interactive mode but I want to just send a EXE to the user. I have no problem with this using FP2.x (except for long file names)but with VFP6 I get a full blown application with menu. This program is a donation to charity and I need to get it done and deliverd on Monday the 20th. Help!

I know I'll get flamed for this but here goes. Ten people are going to jump in and say this is not possible and it will not work, but it will. VFP6 will run FPW2.x code.
So if you want you can:
1. Create your database c:\vfp\xxx bases in VFP6. Copy to c:\fpw\xxx type fox2x (long field names will not export)
2. Write your program in FPW2.6 including screen generation.
Put these 4 lines of code at the start of your main program.
set sysmenu to
if wexist("STANDARD")
hide window standard
endif
3. Create your report forms in VFP6 with VFP6 databases.
4. Create a VFP6 project
5. Test, run, debug as required using either VFP or FPW

Follow steps in create a stand alone exe
Done.

David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back